Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ Caprice interchangeable parts

VQCAPRICE304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice series 2
Hey everyone I am the proud owner of a VQ series 2 caprice. The old girl is starting to show her age in a few areas.. 350k on the clock...

I am not the most car minded human unfortunately.. The front shocks are popped. The steering rack is cactus as it looks like previous owner has hit something hard near the rack boot its bent.. lots of play in steering

Power steering pump is leaking needs a new pump

Another oil leak i haven't diagnosed..

Oil light is on at idle but i understand this to be a regular occurrence...

My main question is what other model holdens can I get parts from etc VN VP
Do any of my issues above require V8 specific parts. Are any parts VQ specific?

Maybe a silly question to some but any help is greatly appreciated and will help me gain a better understanding.. Thank you

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Depends on the part. Holden basically took a VP V8 on a long wheelbase body pan to make the Statesman and Caprice. This forum is pretty good for getting ideas on part sourcing.
The variable ratio steering is one system that's unique to the Caprice and Statesman. See the recent discussion on my hard VQ Statesman steering. You will need a VQ specific pump and rack. Some people years ago on the forum used VP parts but were prepared to forego the variable ratio steering.
These cars are now becoming rare and many owners these days are wanting to keep their vehicles original.
The oil light should come on when the key's switched to on but go off when the engine's running.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
And if you intend to keep the car for a long time get a set of the original (green covered) GMH factory manuals starting with the volumes on electricals. These are available occasionally on ebay or at swap meets.

The next best manual to the GMH factory set is the Gregory's Commodore/Statesman/Caprice manual- No. 258.

Even if you use a mechanic, these manuals help because a lot of the people that know about these cars have retired. I have found that the best mechanics for these cars have a lot of gray hair.