Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ Cruise Control Cuts Out after a Few Seconds

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
My VQ cruise control stopped working. When I test it by holding down the brake pedal, 'Set-" and "Set+' simultaneously , as recommended in the VP/VQ maintenance manual, the cruise light comes on for a few seconds and then drops out.
I'm testing it with with one back wheel jacked up and running.
All electrical circuits seem to be OK and I've tried a second CC module which didn't improve things.
Is there something I'm missing? Is the VQ BCM smart enough to sense only one wheel is turning?
I'd welcome any ideas.
Thanks.

Lex

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Executive S1 V6 6 speed Auto Wagon
My VQ cruise control stopped working. When I test it by holding down the brake pedal, 'Set-" and "Set+' simultaneously , as recommended in the VP/VQ maintenance manual, the cruise light comes on for a few seconds and then drops out.
I'm testing it with with one back wheel jacked up and running.
All electrical circuits seem to be OK and I've tried a second CC module which didn't improve things.
Is there something I'm missing? Is the VQ BCM smart enough to sense only one wheel is turning?
I'd welcome any ideas.
Thanks.
Try turning the brake light switch for the cc out 1/2 - 1 turn.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Try turning the brake light switch for the cc out 1/2 - 1 turn.
Thanks. I'll try with both of them out 1 click- they seem to be held in with some kind of plastic ratchet.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
holding in the brakes will cut the cruise as it brakes the earth to it for safety, also u cant get it to work with wheels off the ground they need load so has to be driven or on dyno

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks. I'll look at the brake switches later today, I was thinking when the brake vacuum booster charges few seconds after the engine starts it might move the pedal enough to trick a brake switch into thinking the brakes have been applied.
I'd like to test it on the open road but the car's in Melbourne with a 5km from home official travel limit

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Checked out the brake pedal switches (the brown wire on the CC connector ) and they operate correctly. Checked the binnacle switch out and it's working correctly-on/off ,SET- and RES+. The "CRS" light is still intermittent. My plan is to reassemble everything and test the car on the open road when our Illustrious Leader lets us drive more than 5km from home.

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
test the car on the open road when our Illustrious Leader lets us drive more than 5km from home.
Might be some good news this Sunday for the Vics.
I would like to be restricted to 5km from home - did just over 400kms on Monday, 300kms Tuesday, 300kms today, only about 150kms to my next job tomorrow and the 450kms to get back home on Friday.

Reply back after your road test, I don't think it will be any different than having rear wheels off the ground?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Might be some good news this Sunday for the Vics.
I would like to be restricted to 5km from home - did just over 400kms on Monday, 300kms Tuesday, 300kms today, only about 150kms to my next job tomorrow and the 450kms to get back home on Friday.

Reply back after your road test, I don't think it will be any different than having rear wheels off the ground?
I'll see how it goes and get back. All the wiring inputs into the CC module now check out OK. Just worries me that the "CRS" light won't come on.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
A globe in the dash?
No unfortunately. Checked that by feeding 12V in from the CC connector and the globe worked fine. Like most of us I really hate intermittent electrical faults, you can spend a lot of time and buy a lot of parts before they are fixed.