Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vq fuel return line broken?

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
i just got a vq 5l 1992 model, was putting its rims back on and noticed a fuel line is snapped off looks like a return line? can you get a replacment for that or will have to get a barb and just use fuel hose to make a new line to the tank?

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
You mean the return line spigot into the tank? It can be resoldered or you can replace the tank with one that has the return line included in the sender unit, as found in late VP-VR. Not VS though because they have a different gauge sender.

VRSenator065

Now in stealth mode
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Senator LSx454
I'm thinking if you have only just noticed it its not the fuel return line otherwise there would be fuel everywhere when you turn on the ignition? Sure its not the breather tube I think from memory it goes from the charcoal canister.

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
Not sure what it is, it has steel fuel line then near the filler neck there's rubber fuel hose that looks like was on e joint to steel fuel line but seems to have snapped off.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Actually, yes, it being for one of the vapour lines would make more sense. There are three on top of the tank, two of which go back to the filler neck, one to the Carbon canister. In either case they can be soldered (still) or the tank, reservoir or filler neck replaced.

lildavo

Reaction score
Members Ride
vg ute
20130913_174818.jpg

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
you are missing all#of the vapour lines associated with the fuel tank filler pipe. One of them connects to the charcoal cannister line which is what you thought was the fuel return line. Charcoal cannister is in the engine bay. The breather lines go onto the plastic barb fittings shown in your snaps. Are you smelling petrol or leaking fuel when you have a full tank?
To replace the lines you need a diagram of what goes where, suitable diameter fuel line from your spare parts supplier, spring type clamps, and you will need to lower the tank to get at some of the connection points on top of the tank. Not too difficult, just a pain but it feels good when it's done!

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I#just spotted the later post re vapour lines and diagram from hi_ryder. Sometimes I'm off the pace. Hope you get it sorted ok