Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ-Hard Power Steering

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Did a 150km run down the Hume this afternoon and when I left the Tulla the power steering was very heavy- like when you've thrown a PS pump belt. Checked pump belts, & fluid level, steering components and tyre inflation- all looked OK. The current pump has done 120,000 km and it's fluid has a weird smell. Is there anything else I should check before replacing the pump? I'd welcome any suggestions on the best place to get a new or rebuilt V8 pump in Melbourne or online?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
@vs-lover rebuilds Saginaw pumps and he is pretty reasonable on price, considering what you get.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Unlikely to be the fluid, but did you replace the fluid anyway?

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Could be belt when warm stretching and not spinning properly, can be your rack binding up when hot or pump again.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks guys. Tried it this morning. The power steering operated perfectly for about a minute after a cold start then lost the power assistance. A noise like a relief valve working came from somewhere in the engine compartment. The fluid is black and smelly, so I'll change that and see what happens but I'd welcome any other ideas.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Jack the front wheels off the ground then with the engine running turn wheels using the wheels to see if the rack is not binding from worn components, if its hard to move maybe that's the reason why your fluid is burning.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks Trevor. With the front end in the air the wheels move freely from lock to lock without the engine operating at all. I guess the rack's not binding.
I changed the fluid while wheels were in the air and ran them from lock to lock to circulate the new fluid and that fixed the problem. The old fluid smelt like used Eaton supercharger oil- if that means anything to anyone.
I hope that the problem is now permanently fixed and it's not an intermittent problem with something exotic in the VQ variable ratio steering system.
Thanks to everyone who contributed.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Good to hear it's OK now. Keep an eye on it. The speed sensitive rotary valve and associated solenoid do degrade over time and need to be replaced. Had a similar problem in my VS Calais.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks, if ever I want a rotary valve or solenoid where can I get them? Would one from a wreckers be OK?

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute