Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ-Hard Power Steering

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Did it again tonight. Worked perfectly then hard steering returned on next restart.I believe the pump flow control valve is intermittently sticking or it's screen is blocked. Probably time for a new or changeover pump.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon
You could try one from the wreckers, or phone round the auto shops, Bursons, Autobarn, and maybe that mob who advertise on those cheating shell cars who I don't deal with anymore.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
**** Important note - the diagrams below are for VR/VS. Not sure how similar the VQ is to the VR/VS.

The rotary valve and solenoid are both part of the rack rather than the power steering pump. Refer to the attached:

Attachments

• VR-VS Speed Sensitive Rotary Valve (partial description).pdf
    407.5 KB · Views: 189
  • VR-VS Rotary Valve Assembly.pdf
    549 KB · Views: 229
  • VR-VS Solenoid Assembly.pdf
    227.4 KB · Views: 176
  • VR-VS General Description - Power Steering (partial).pdf
    315.6 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks. I have the original GMH VQ manuals and I had a look today. The VQ system is a bit simpler than the VR/VS looking at your attachments.
I picked up a rebuilt pump today- for some reason the variable steering Saginaw pump is different to the standard steering VP V8 pump- the older guys at the parts shop were adamant about this & checked the part number on the pump case before they would sell it to me.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Thanks. I have the original GMH VQ manuals and I had a look today. The VQ system is a bit simpler than the VR/VS looking at your attachments.
I picked up a rebuilt pump today- for some reason the variable steering Saginaw pump is different to the standard steering VP V8 pump- the older guys at the parts shop were adamant about this & checked the part number on the pump case before they would sell it to me.

Stato has a slightly different pump to Exec but I'm pretty sure you can just swap the fitting over from the back of the pump.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/For-Hol...=173687496913ee3713c0e3c6458d85cf760988ede45d

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
s-l500.jpg

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Big T those aftermarket pumps are garbage. The only good pumps are genuine. I can get a rebuilt gen pump for cheaper than the **** ones you listed, just saying.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
PSPK4.jpg

POWER STEERING PUMP KIT SAGINAW PUMPS FORD XE AU 111 HOLDEN VB VT SER 1 6CYL V8