Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ IRS to Solid Axle

Scido

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman Caprice / VY Storm
Hi
I'm wanting to get rid of the IRS in my Caprice and change it out for a solid axle that i have in my VP wagon. Reason being im sick of chopping tyres out in the arse end and when i do burnouts the tyres last all of 2 minutes before blowing.

I've heard a few things around the traps like the underside of the body in an IRS being completing different to a solid axle one. is this true.

To do the swap isnt going to be a major feat of engineering it will just take some time, but if the body is different then that will kinda stop me in my tracks.

Has anyone else done the conversion?
Or does anyone have any other ideas of how i can overcome my dramas or tyre wear?

Any help will be appreciated.
Cheers

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
wouldnt even bother mate , huge ammount of engineering envolved may aswell fork out for a 4 link or similar , is it purely a burnout car ??

Scido

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
wouldnt even bother mate , huge ammount of engineering envolved may aswell fork out for a 4 link or similar , is it purely a burnout car ??

Yeah righto :/ cost a fortune but ay?

I still drive her on the weekends and to work sometimes, working on a few things at the moment to make her a competitive burnout car

H1GHROLLR

CHEMICALLY SUPERCHARGED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX CLUBSPORT R8 LS1
yeah i reackon u should just chuck a camber kit through it and stiffen the ass end up

Scido

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah ill have a look into it, gotta buy some new springs and shocks anyways.

Cheers mate

Vlad01

Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP vacationer, 95 VR II exec, 92 VP S Pack
live over irs? lol thats a good one.
irs ftw!

Scido

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
live over irs? lol thats a good one.
irs ftw!

Its a better ride for sure
but once you lower your car it chews through tyres so much.

NickVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive A4 V8
The body for an IRS car is different to a Live Axle car. Can't happen unless you some how utilise the IRS mounting points and make things fit. But then you'll need to consult an engineer about this for it A) To be legal and 2) To be safe, for you and others on the road.

Scido

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
The body for an IRS car is different to a Live Axle car. Can't happen unless you some how utilise the IRS mounting points and make things fit. But then you'll need to consult an engineer about this for it A) To be legal and 2) To be safe, for you and others on the road.

Yeah i have heard that before, i have no doubt i can make it fit and do the job just not to keen on the whole engineer thing, i dont know where i would go to ask one. I could get a drafty to draw it up and submit the plans i guess just these things arnt readily available and the laws are to strict. It makes your ambitions somewhat depressed cause of paperwork and legal matters.
In the end it would be cheaper to go with the full 4 link setup most likley where the enginering has already been done, i just dont like the though of being beat by paperwork.
To me its only a car which is childs play compared to the mods ive been employed to carry out to heavy earthmoving equipment.