Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ Speed Sensitive Power Steering Pump - Outlet Needle Valve?

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Hi ,
I've fitted a changeover power steering pump to my VQ but the steering still relatively hard and doesn't seem to be speed sensitive.
I suspect the changeover pump is for the standard power steering system and incorporates the standard outlet needle valve.
There are no part numbers on the changeover pump- is there any way I can tell by looking at it externally to check if a needle valve is fitted?
Is there any way I can remove the needle valve , if it's there , to make the pump suitable for use with the BCM controlled rack?

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Just take out the fitting on the back of the pump where the pressure line screws in and swap it into the new pump.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Just take out the fitting on the back of the pump where the pressure line screws in and swap it into the new pump.
The problem with that is I had to hand the old pump in to get the changeover unit. The pump is supposed to be for a Variatronic steering system but it doesn't feel anywhere like the old pump did when it was working.
Maybe pull the guts out of the needle valve ?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
They are quiet different in design. Take it back and swap the fittings over?

Either that or there is a problem with the solenoid or the rack.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
Thanks. The rack looks OK but may have internal ports clogged. I'll check the solenoid resistance against the GMH specs and try more system flushing before I pull out the fitting.
Can the fitting be unscrewed and checked with the pump in place?

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Possibly but it would be difficult.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
LOL, I should ask, V6 or V8 as the pumps are quiet different.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
V8, Saginaw type P pump. Invoice model number definitely says it's a Variotronic pump according to the rebuilders catalogue.
I had a look at the outlet needle valve design and I can see that there's a return port in the standard pump's needle valve case that would need to be blocked to use it as a Variotronic pump.
I'll have a look at the needle valve anyway, I want to flush out the pump now it's run for 300km or so. The original cause of all of this was loss of fluid on a freeway due to the return hose burning through where it touched the exhaust header. Had to cut the pump belt to minimize damage and return home. The remaining fluid was thin and black when I changed the pump over- I suspect there's a lot of crud settled in the bottom of the pump.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I'd say the rack is full of crap too and the reason for it not working. Sorry, I was thinking V6 pump which is a bit different and easier to change over.

MikeC

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Statesman
I agree. Do you know of any way to flush the rack out with it in place? I can't see anything like a sump plug. Maybe just flushing through the pump connections will work?