Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VQ V8 into VS V6. Legal?

seq4x4

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS
Iv managed to score everything needed to convert the ute to a 5L. However being a 93 motor for a 96 shell, how legal is this? Iv read to different answers over and over again but with no definitive answer. One person claims i can do it, another claims i cant. As most threads were from 2010, i thought it was fair game to add another thread for this year. Any assistance would be great, thanks.

drewVHSS

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
stores.ebay.com.au
Members Ride
'83 VH SS, '79 Green VB SL '92 S2 VQ Caprice
engine i see no problem with using it.
you might have to use vs v8 ecu though to be legal. (not definitive but a reasonable assumption based on the engines did not change at all from vn to vs series 2 but the computer did change)

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
Swap is perfectly legal. The 304 wasn't changed from VN to VS. Ecu is different from memory as the VQ had a different gearbox to the VS

wraith

Hand over the dog bikkies
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX V6 Berlina. 2003 VW Passat
If you wanted to run it with the VQ gearbox it would still work. Just disable the VATS security in the ECU I think. There is no difference in regards to pollution gear.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
so long as the ADR's regarding pollution bs are the same then no problems if the engine is from a previous year vehicle.
VS III or below? if below and auto then you can run a vr v6 pcm if you so wished and spliced in the 2 extra injectors...

Drawnnite

Obviously Unsensible
Reaction score
Members Ride
2000 Vs Ute
might be slightly different state to state. (seeing you are in QLD)
but when I was at vicroads asking a few q's about it and got a printout from them it stated "has to be a motor available from that model"
so as long as nothing changed than you should be all good. but to make 100% sure id ask your local RTA or I think Darren works for them and could help.

just make sure you have a document stating that you own the engine, its not stolen etc.
basically just to cover yourself when it comes to giving them the info.

sleepyjean

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr acclaim
Why not look at the main roads website and see what their requirements are going to be. That way you will know what you can do in QLD.

adam10_1990

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore S2 Ute Manual