Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5.0 into VT - Legal?

DK101

Next Burnout Grand Master
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'93 VR SS - 304 T5, '95 Exec - 355 T5
I have a VT2 Berlina Wagon
Because it's an S2 - the factory V8 was LS1.
Because it's a VT the 5.0's used in S1 were roller engines with airflow meter and sequential injection.
I also have two VR 304s here that are going to waste, so wanna know if I can do it.
I mean, I know I can do it, but will I be able to register it?
Simple engineer's inspection at the most, or is it just not gonna happen?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
Simple answer is no, it won't comply to the emission.
If it was a VT I then you could, but your only option is a ls1.
It wouldn't need to be engineered but you'd have to spend a lot on testing to prove it complies with the adr emission standards (which it won't pass)

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Why bother? There's also the fact the VR loom and ECU will be completely different to the VT 5L gear, not to mention all the ancillaries and K-frame swap.

DK101

Next Burnout Grand Master
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
'93 VR SS - 304 T5, '95 Exec - 355 T5
Thanks for all of that guys, pre much echoed the thoughts in my head.
Only reason I ask this, is I have a VR SS and a VR Exec, both 304 T5, and I can't really afford the coin nor the space (Got 3 cars of my own to be rid of - I'm allowed to have one haha) to get an LS1, and cannot be farkt putting another V6 into the car if I want to resurrect it...

My next question is this then, I guess...

Who wants to swap both my VR's (they run and drive but not legally tehe) for a full working LS1 conversion to suit (auto or manual IDC) :idea3:

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Why not just do the conversion into a cheap VN-VS shell?

s_ikari2015

Fun IS easier with an 8
Reaction score
Members Ride
'02 Monaro V2 CV8, '90 Toyota Sera
Why not approach a wreckers for a swap? I'm sure there will be one that will take even just one VR complete with 304 and T5 for an LS1 with K-frame and transmission, possibly even the looms and computers. You could try parting out the other VR yourself for some cash, or just sell that to the wrecker as well. You might even be able to work out a deal, both VRs for everything you need for the LS1 conversion in your VT S2 wagon, could even try for a bit of cash your way.
Just parting out the VRs will get you enough cash for the complete conversion, but the problem is time. This is why the wrecker could be a convenient solution, even if you don't get as much cash from the VRs if you did it yourself.