Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5.0L starting issues

Vegas304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5.0L
Hey Guys

I need some help

about 3 months ago my car died with no notice, since then i have replaced all leads, spark plugs, coil, dizzy (thinking it was the hall effect), ignition module. My spark comes and goes. I have done TDC after replacing dizzy.

All grounds are fine as well.

Im stuck so any advise would be great, Thanks in advance.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
On top of Deuce's questions, have you set the static timing after replacing the distributor? Needs to be set to 10 degrees BTDC in diagnostic mode (DLC terminals five and six bridged - paper clip or equivalent is fine).

Do you have a fully charged battery?

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Have you checked for any Error Codes?

If you find any error codes, another thing that causes the car to stall is the Air Intake Temperature Sensor (Located on RHS of Intake Manifold, Halfway down, In between the injectors). Now this will popup a code. When it happens, the engine is at normal operating temperature, then shuts down. (So when engine is cold, it won't shut the engine down)

Vegas304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5.0L
It Cranks But doesnt start. the car is on charge so not the battery.

Not sure about the static timing :)

Checked the error codes came up with 12 System pass. I had to replace the Temp sensor awhile ago as I thought that was giving me the troubles.

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
A few years ago i had an issue like this.
It turned out to be the anti-theft in the BCM had failed and did not throw a code.
I changed out the BCM eventually (car was off the road for 2-3 months, no idea about forums then just manuals) and the car threw a code 46 i think.
Hall effect trigger was not working.
but as the anti theft had buggered up it would crank but not start.
A lot of people suggested at the time, it was the ignition interface module. however mine turned out to be the hall effect trigger in the dizzy itself.
If you are going to try to swap bcm's, remember to use the key head associated with the bcm you are using, as this will be a different code.

also checking the timing was set correctly can only help as everyone makes mistakes once in a while,
especially like me when I'm tired.
I hope this helps as I know how frustrating it can truly be!

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
this is really interesting.... ive had key problems for a while.. half the time I turn it and it does nothing, keep trying and it starts fine..
all of a sudden now it will crank I have fuel spark ect. but no fire..
could the imtermittent key problem be signs of bcm failiure coming up?.. ive tried my spare key and no difference.

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
The key problem could be related to the silver ring around the ignition that the key contacts.

I had to have mine replaced years ago due to intermittent starting issues.

speed__demond

slammed and cammed
Reaction score
Website
forums.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
vs statesman 5L
yeah.. ill try to bend them out and see what happens.. im just wondering if the bcm or key barrel is bad somewhere could the car crank but not fire