Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr 5 l running 5 cylinders

bsb84

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L vs ute
i can pull the leads of 4,6 and 8 cylinders and doesnt make a difference, any chance it has anything to do with timing? new plugs leads dizzy cap,swapped ignition module and coil, no difference, any ideas? did a search on here but didnt find anything to help my situation

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Possibly a problem with injectors?

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'd say injectors. May have dropped a bank on the wiring. Clean all the plugs on the injector harness and the ECU.

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
At the more extreme end of the scale, something similar to this happened to somebody I know and it turned out to be collapsed valve springs. But probably injectors.

bsb84

Reaction score
Members Ride
5L vs ute
finally have a chance to get back to it, just had the timing light hooked up to the 3 dodgy cylinder leads, very erratic firing/spark, so swapping out the dizzy to test hall effect sensor, will update with results asap

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
I wouldn't have thought the Hall Effect sensor would cause the problem you are having. However, damage to the toothed disc in the distributor could be the reason. Basically you are looking for something that impacts a limited number of cylinders rather than something that, if it fails, should impact all cylinders. So the options are spark plugs, leads, distributor cap, toothed disc, and mechanical items such as camshaft lobes, valve springs, valves, and maybe other items that forum members can identify.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
If it's only on the RH bank though, I'd be inclined to say injector harness somewhere. If it was in the distributor, shouldn't it affect a sequence of cylinders that are in a row in the firing order? If it is in the distributor, then just double check cylinder #5 to make sure that isn't doing the same thing as that is in the sequence with 4, 6, and 8.

If that's the case, then it could be a bent shaft or worn bearing in the distributor making the contact on one side erratic.