Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr 5 litre transmission stays in 2nd

Critterkent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ute 5 litre
I have a vr 5 litre ute I thought my transmission had gone as it would only drive in second and would just slip and not change into 3rd so I got a second hand auto fitted that and have the same problem still it wont go out of second gear any ideas would be great thanks

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Has to have something to do with your other post on "no engine light:
My first guess is that it was originally a V6 and using a bodgied up ECU to run the V8 and also has the wrong BCM.

Good Luck.

Critterkent

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr ute 5 litre
Has to have something to do with your other post on "no engine light:
My first guess is that it was originally a V6 and using a bodgied up ECU to run the V8 and also has the wrong BCM.

Good Luck.
Thanks for that I bought it 2 years ago with an 8 and its been really good until recently

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
A couple of items, one from 4L60e common problems and the other one from in independent source. See if either of them fit your symptoms:

6. No 3rd or 4th gear: “3-4” clutches are worn out. Repair and/or Replace. The car is safe to drive (in 2) until you can get it fixed.

3-4 Clutch Pack Failure
  • No 3rd gear
  • Change into 3rd – engine runs as if in neutral

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
No CEL?
Not in limp home mode?

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
No CEL? Not in limp home mode?

What is "limp-home mode" ? This is a fault mode in which the transmission either loses electrical power or the PCM deactivates all of the electronics. The transmission will default to max line pressure. The driver will have Reverse and 3rd, with manual 2nd available by putting the gearshift in 2 or 1 (doesn't matter). 1st, 4th, and TCC lockup will not be available. It will not hurt the car to drive it like this for short periods, but use manual 2nd to get the car moving, and be aware that the trans will generate more heat than normal while operating in limp-home mode due to increased torque converter slippage during 2nd gear starts and no lockup in 3rd gear.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
I vaguely remember from my fading memory the problem being one of the two A and B solenoids in the gear box being the problem. Not saying that's what's wrong here but worth consideration.