Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5L Duel Fuel Perfect On Gas, Stutters Badly On Fuel

djmenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Holden Commodore Acclaim.
I posted this in the my ride in my pics section so I thought it may get better seen in this section.

It was bad for months and I thought it had been fixed.

Some of my posts in the my ride section:

Ok finally had the running rough on fuel fixed. I had the injectors cleaned at Canningvale Auto Centre. He said the fuel pump runs great and he cleaned the system twice to make sure but only charged for once. Now it runs great, touchwood. So after changing the plugs, leads, fuel filter it turned out to be the injectors. At least the rest is now new to.
He said I have to run the system on fuel more. 1 week a month it has to run on fuel. I was running it a few ks here a few ks there.

So hopefully now the car will run smoother than ever.

Driving home today from work I was running it on gas. Great as per usual. 5km from home I flicked it over to fuel and for a few seconds not a problem, then the stuttering under load started happening again. So I had to flick it back to gas otherwise the car had **** power and the revs spluttering everywhere.

What could this be? Contaminated fuel maybe? I had less than a qtr of a tank of fuel left and put $30 in today and since then it has been like this. Could the new fuel mixed with the old fuel cause this. Could it only be temporary?

I have done the paper clip thing and the readout was 12 everytime. So I rang Canningvale Auto Centre and he said it has to be an electrical issue. He has to get the computer read and see how it runs through the tests. Then he said something about resetting the computer? Also as I have changed the plugs, leads, air filter, fuel filter and had the injectors cleaned so he said it has to be electrical.

I am just trying to see if it could be anything else before I take it there and spend money I dont really have atm.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Have you checked the fuel pressure?, the fuel would have to be really old to run that bad but it is possible, how often to you use the fuel?

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
dont know about V8's but my prob after the conversion was a) bad o2 sensors and b) bad o2 sensor earth, had great gas but shithouse on petrol...

djmenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Have you checked the fuel pressure?, the fuel would have to be really old to run that bad but it is possible, how often to you use the fuel?

No I havent. How do you check that? I used to use the fuel a few times a week about a k or 2 from home. I sometimes had the urge to run for the whole day but not too often.

mrhotdog said:
dont know about V8's but my prob after the conversion was a) bad o2 sensors and b) bad o2 sensor earth, had great gas but shithouse on petrol...

The mechanic did mention over the phone that the LPG guys sometimes adjust things so the car runs perfect on LPG which apparently sometimes stuff up the fuel settings.

djmenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well finally fixed this time.

The fault was traced to fault in injectors signal circuit drop out. They have repaired the circuit.

It took them (Canningvale Auto Service) pretty much 2 days to source the chase the problem.

So in the end of the day the labour killed the cost.

It cost me $715 inc GST to locate and repair.

I rang Holden before the work was done to compare costs and they said they didnt have the diagnostic equipment to locate and repair this sort of fault. They would have to outsource the car to get looked at. They would charge for however many hours they took to look for the issue then the cost of the outsourcing and the repair so they couldnt give me a cost but no doubt it would have been alot more.

Fingers crossed it is finally fixed.

djmenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well back to the workshop today as the same problem occurred last night. I was crusin down the freeway doing about 120kmh and about 5km from home I flicked it over to fuel from gas and it just started stuttering again. It had been running perfectly on fuel for nearly a week. If I started it on gas and ran it on gas it would be good but the problem only occurred after I flicked the switch from gas to fuel.
Took it back today and he ran the diagnostics through it to no avail. So he thinks it has to do with the LPG system. He has bypassed the LPG system and now the car only runs on fuel. Took it home tonight and not a problem. He said to run it for a number of days to see if the problem arises. If it keeps on going fine he says it will have to be with the LPG system. The other problem he fixed last week he said it was to do with the problem and that had to be fixed.

Who knows

Vee-ard

QuickVR95II 2010 Survivor
Reaction score
Members Ride
Foam Tuned VR 5.0l Ute
Reckon its just been tuned wrong mate, they made it work too well with gas and not well enough with petrol. Even though with technology these days they can make it work, the engine was never factory designed to run on gas.

djmenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
...but it had been running perfect for the previous 6 months on both. It has modified head for the gas when the motor was rebuilt.
You could be right though, I may ask the question.

djmenow

Reaction score
Members Ride
Well they have replaced 2 of the LPG relays and all seems well now. We will hopefully see it not stuffing up now.