Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 VR 5L mods.

brad304

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS 5spd S2
Gday all I'm new to this forum. I have a VR SS 5spd in which the motor is around 80,000kms old. I have fitted extractors, exhaust, CAI and VT thermos are my current mods. It's currently around 150rwkw and I'm lookin at taking things a step further. I'm not sure what to do but my mechanic recommended larger throttle body and a cam. Not sure if a cam would be worth it unless other mods were done as well? Just want some ideas for a bit more performance at a budget of around 2.5k. Thanks all.

nakaz81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 5L 134 pack
Gday all I'm new to this forum. I have a VR SS 5spd in which the motor is around 80,000kms old. I have fitted extractors, exhaust, CAI and VT thermos are my current mods. It's currently around 150rwkw and I'm lookin at taking things a step further. I'm not sure what to do but my mechanic recommended larger throttle body and a cam. Not sure if a cam would be worth it unless other mods were done as well? Just want some ideas for a bit more performance at a budget of around 2.5k. Thanks all.

2500? fella, cam and memcal options are the next best thing id say.crow cams have options give them a ring or look the up on the net.if there is a bit of cash left over and you want a bit more torque change diff gears aswell try 3.45 ratio they arnt too bad and give the best of both worlds on the hiway and streetable use.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
as above. Thats some good things to start with. Cams themselves arnt very dear. Its the tuning and paying for install if you dont do all that yourself. Bigger T/B id say so, dont waste your time.

edit - looking at the date and number of posts, this guy was just a blow-in and abandonned this joint.

xx5047

Reaction score
Members Ride
vrss11
index refference you crank pulley timing mark ,adjust the dizzy to 14-15deg advance at idle for everyday non ethanol 91-96 ron fuel,any more and you need to consider colder plugs and or 96ron minimum fuel
no need to connect the ecu jumper plug either,the whole curve will shift 4-5 degrees.
put some castrol r 5-30 in it while you at it too.

flanker

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn ss hdt aero
edit - looking at the date and number of posts, this guy was just a blow-in and abandonned this joint.

Thats fine as it helps others like moi :)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Grange 185

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr caprice
3.7 diff gears man all the way it will wake it up or 3.45's ausome mod just done it my self!

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
i hope you have the dyno sheet to back up your claim. otherwise i have wasted a lot of money with my build and still 3kws behind you with a stock motor...

edit* oh, old thread? soz

And another old post, I'd back my VP to run VERY near if not over 160 rwkw on a dyno and it's got basically nothing done to it!:)

Cobez

LS-EXUAL
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 S2 VY SS Ute
As i finally learnt, my Senator, just on 140rwkw on a Dyno Dynamics dyno, but have whooped other 5 litres due to having a fair whack more torque!

I used to think power figures meant all, but torque wins the race!