Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 5L pinging!

C

calais5l

Ive got a VR 5L which is pinging under load above about 3000rpm. Sometimes it's OK, but a week or two later, I won't be able to hit full throttle without it pinging.

Seeing as it comes and goes, I think it depends on the batch of fuel I put in. I run BP regular, as i have found this very good until lately.

Does anyone else with 5L's have problems with pinging, or notice differences between fuels?

Any ideas welcome.

Thanks.

calais5l

Smitty

Reaction score
Members Ride
GenF SV340 R8 Tourer, VK race car, ZX12R
calais5l said:
Ive got a VR 5L which is pinging under load above about 3000rpm. Sometimes it's OK, but a week or two later, I won't be able to hit full throttle without it pinging. Seeing as it comes and goes, I think it depends on the batch of fuel I put in. I run BP regular, as i have found this very good until lately. Does anyone else with 5L's have problems with pinging, or notice differences between fuels? Any ideas welcome.
Thanks.

calais5l
mate
fuel is the issue...if I run Mobil fuel (normal ULP) no problem
and I find Shell ULP variable (some weeks oK, other weeks bad
for performance and pinging)
I have always had a problem with BP regular...never use it....
I ocassionaly have Caltex in it..thats ok...
the PULPs Mobil 8000, BP Premium, are OK
but Optimax is a shocker in my VR....runs like a dog....smells funny
too (had a similar problem with Optimax in the bike)
besides..PULPs are getting VERY expensive...
hth

cheers

C

calais5l

Pinging.

Thanks VXIISSM6er, i'll give mobil a try, as iv'e never tried it.

PS. I agree totally with what you said about Optimax.

calais5l

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
yep as VXII said.. its your juice!
i run nothing in my 5 litre apart from BP Ultimate (BP equivilant to optimax) and it runs like a charm! only problem is that its 8c dearer than regular unleaded :(

N

newfoundglory

I Got a VR SS 5.0l and i run anything and everything in it and it has never had a problem with pinging. Just thought id add my 2cents.

C

calais5l

5L Pinging

Well, I just put in a full tank of Mobil regular ULP (Synergy 2000) and it pings just as much, so the cause of the pinging is not really due to fuel, as i've tried every brand of ULP. It's very annoying when you cannot even use full throttle on totally stock 5.0L with the timing set to 10 degrees.

As soon as I run PULP (95RON or higher), no pinging at all.

Calais5l