Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr 5L running th700

Nick burton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5L ute
hey guys, does anyone know what you have to do when running a vq statesmen th700 cable gearbox behind a vr 5L which had a 4l60-e elec gearbox? Its in and runs but engine light is on with timing retarded and extra fuel added.

Can you get the auto memcal re programmed or do i need a manaul loom and ecu?

Thanks in advance

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
You’ll need to have it tuned so that the computer thinks it’s a manual. You’ll need to wire the lockup so that it locks when it hits 4th gear - the trans pan needs to be removed to do this and you’ll need to bypass the temp switch.

Hook up lockup through the brake light switch and a vacuum operated micro switch so that the converter unlocks during moderate-heavy acceleration and braking.

You MUST ensure that the TV cable is adjusted properly or you’ll kill the trans straight away.

Nick burton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5L ute
Can i get my auto ecu tuned to work? Ive been told that i cant? What is the adjustment on the cable? I bought the box rebuilt with c4 servos and what not, it shifts firm and nice and kicks back like id expect it to? Im a 2nd year apprentice mechanic so have a rough idea just not the technical stuff (cable was already installed in box and i just changed the throttle body to one with the knob for the cable to clip to

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
The cable needs to be reset (push your finger down on the button and push the cable outter all the way out - away from the throttlebody. Then twist the butterfly with your hand until it hits the stop. The cable will ratchet though and where it stops is where it stays. If shifts are too hard or too soft, you can move the cable in or out by one click either way.

Yes you can have your auto pcm tuned to suit - although it won't control your lockup. That's why you'll need to do a little bit of wiring as I described above to ensure the box lives. If you don't hook up the lockup, the transmission will die prematurely. It'll work for a while but the lack of lock up will heat things up quite quickly. Heat is the biggest killers of those transmissions. And without the lockup you'll be using more fuel and the engine will be revving harder on the highway than it needs to (2000,2100rpm with 3.08 diff at 100kmph instead of 1750-1800rpm locked up).

If you have more questions don't hesitate to ask. I've done a th700 conversion, although not into a commodore but it's fairly well the same procedure.

Nick burton

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr 5L ute
Do you know exactly what they have to tune out so i can tell them? Also is there a diagram for the converter lock up wiring or what colours i can put to where? I can install it to a switch cant i?

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Last edited: