Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 94 Acclaim L1 Cluster Pinouts/Info needed...

Nemesis04

Reaction score
Members Ride
04 VYII Equipe MY16 VFII Calais V
Hi All,

Am after the wiring diagram on the Level 1 Cluster, if anyone has it that would be awesome!

If possible the wiring diagram for the BCM aswell, mainly pin outs and what controls what...

Also, does anyone have any specifications on how the needles are controlled? whether its pulse (I'm sort of thinking this might be the case...) or a simple analogue signal (0V is 0km/h... 12V is 220km/h etc).

I'm assuming the status lights are just On or Off.... duh :p

I need to be able to daisy chain off the Speedo, RPM, ODO (pulse click every 20-25 meters?), Fuel, and possibly the temperature (just for kicks ;) )...

What's it for? Well...

I'm looking at designing my own Trip Computer using a microcontroller coupled with a graphics LCD, much like what you find on newer Commodores... pretty!...

From what I've read... it would be ALOT easier (and more entertaining :p) then sourcing another Level 3 cluster with similair ODO without LCD bleeding, wiring looms, potentially another BCM and the Trip Control box... which ironically I already have as I'll use it to control the micro in a similair fashion.

The moment I find a Calais at the local wreckers... it's already been gutted :(

Cheers, Nem04

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
2010 Holden Caprice V II (V8)
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...t-usual-vr-vs-cluster-upgrade-differences.png

That should give you enough info on the pinouts for Level 1 cluster (the level 1/2 is interchangable) - So make sure to use Level 2 info (I wrote both Level 2 AND level 3 stuff)
There's no color coding, but the connectors are quiet obvious.

Hope this helps,
Also, i'd really like to see what you come up with :)

Might even do one if you can get together a prototype
If you need some assistance, give me a PM

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
From what I've read... it would be ALOT easier (and more entertaining :p) then sourcing another Level 3 cluster with similair ODO without LCD bleeding, wiring looms, potentially another BCM and the Trip Control box... which ironically I already have as I'll use it to control the micro in a similair fashion.

The moment I find a Calais at the local wreckers... it's already been gutted :(
Cheers, Nem04

I just did a l3 conversion, all you need is a level 3 cluster (which isnt that hard to find without bleeding), and the 4th connector plug, and some decent wiring/soldering skills. lol
Oh, and the trip computer :p (I got mine like that)... But your idea sounds good, similar to what I wanna do with my car PC, If you can get something happening, I really wanna see!!!

I'm pretty sure it's voltages that change the items, and they don't go 0-12v, but rather something like 4.4v-6.6v (this isn;t verified - just what i've read).
Either way, you're going to need a multimeter. so find out for us :p

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
oh and i'm sure you know this, but don't drain the voltages from the signals, your ECU will hate you for it.

Oh. one more thing (no, I won't post the 4th time in a row lol) - Welcome to Just Commodores.

Nemesis04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks for the table of connections, appreciate it :)

If i'm just reading voltages and placing them through an ADC through the uC the current drain on the signal would be negligible. The BCM would really be that sensitive to that extra load? How would I go about drawing a signal... Hmmm...

Although, Some of the spec sheets i've seen at work (Bosch... huzzah! discount parts :p) do list some BCM driving currents to be very small... but... /strokes stubble

Anyways;

It's that easy to change the dash? (wiring another connector shouldn't be too hard if I can utilise the existing loom)... I ride in a Series I Acclaim... but you've got a VR Series I Exec... Seems i've been reading from the wrong sources :p

Edit:

Oh and thanks for the warm welcome! Long time lurker, first time poster :p

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
Its a bit off stuffing around but if you tech minded(and it sounds you might be) a "buffer amp" would maybe help you out if you think your going to drain the signal source too much with what your doing. You'll need a op-amp chip from dicksmiths or somthing, but you'll also need a dual dc power supply

Nemesis04

Reaction score
Members Ride
VrWagz1: Yeah an Op-Amp would do it, but i still need to know how the values are communicated to the dash, alas, i'll have to pull the multimeter out tomorrow if I get a chance. Thanks Mate :)

OzJD: Have you got a worklog on your cluster changeover? Would be very interested...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
you could go another way and perhaps use the aldl output if you have anyway of using a microcontroller to do it .we have just started on a similar but different sort of project using a nintendo DS as an on dash aldl display that will work much like a trip computer code scanner/aldl veiwer its in the aldl topics over here delcohacking.net • Index page

OzJD

Reaction score
Website
jeltel.com.au
Members Ride
I don't think it will be too easy to drain the voltage, unless you do something like connect a bulb to the speedo wire

Using the ALDL connector is an idea, but I think you would get a lot more latency when you're collecting data about everything for the micro controller.

Do I have a worklog? Do you mean what did I change? All of the wiring for the connectors were sourced from the existing 3 plugs, except for one (the efi?) which can be found near the ECU

Nemesis04

Reaction score
Members Ride
Here's what I've found so far...

For the Tachometer a 12V pulse (square wave) at a certain frequency denotes what RPM is displayed.

A formula to calculate the RPM or Freq is as follows.

RPM = (1/50) Freq - 0.4, or, Freq (Hz) = (RPM + 0.4)*50

Note: for 0RPM if the signal has a 0Hz signal, the needle is not as 'quick' to 'flick' to accuratly dispaly what RPM the Cam Shaft Sensor(or something...) is sending to the ECU.

This would be simple to interface to the microcontroller, a pin that looks for a change in period from low to high (or high to low) to calculate the frequency. Can be setup with Interupts or a simple delay loop that monitors the pin every x second(s).

Although what I did find strange was when I had my CRO hooked up to my frequency generator (was bench testing an old Cluster) the needle would only move when I had the CRO attached to the signal line... I had the frequency going through the base of a BC337 transistor, a 12V source connected to the collector and the signal (Tacho) connected to the Emitter. I can only immagine a grounding issue... but will solve that later.

Now... for the Speedo!