Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 94 - Engine turns but won't start

mar06mir

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II V6
Hi,

The car refused to start tonight although the engine was turning each time. Fuel pump works, can hear it and feel the fuel hose swell, battery and starter work ok, high tension cables are fine, fuel pressure regulator relatively new (6 mths) and all other systems look ok. The only thing that puzzles me are the wipers which came on evey time I turned the ignition on.

Eventually the engine started and I managed to drive myself home, some 30km, with no problems but the wipers worked most of time and couldn't switch them off no matter what I tried. They stopped by themselves for the last 10min or so. When I got home I turned the engine off but couldn't start it again although the wipers didn't operate by themselves any more.

Any clues? Must be electrical, perhaps affected by the wet weather. Could it be body control module? How to test it?

Revhead-Ryan

Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VS Series II S
If the wipers were going weird, and u started it and then it wouldnt go, that sounds like it actually IS the battery.

This happened with my VN Calais once. It was sat in a carpark by my house all night coz i couldnt drive it home. Next morning go down their for a cruise and it wouldnt start. The engine turned over after a long delay, and their was a loud constant clicking sound, and the lights and wipers, and electric windows were doing their own thing - sometimes working, sometimes not, sometimes just turning off and on themselves.

After a whole day of trying to figure it out with mates it turned out to be the battery. I think it had got wet overnight and also had run abit flat. Maybe u could try just charging it full and then giving it another go. If that fails then im stuck, im only 17 so not a mechanical genious atm!

combatantsomeone

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim v6..?
hi
had a semi similar problem on my VN just the other day, turned out to be the coil packs... maybe if you got a spare set u cud try em and see if that helps

mar06mir

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II V6
In the morning it wouldn't crank at all. The remote didn't work and the interior light went crazzy. Self diagnosis showed code 31 - faulty theft deterrent. Opended the fuse lid, removed the vent duct above it and checked the BCM connectors. Had a better look around and found signs of moisture. Removed the BCM and it was wet and the foam / fabric above was completely soaked. Some water got into the BCM as well. Later I found a leak under the RH side of the windscreen. Fixed that and took the car to Holden (managed to get it going after leaving the key on for 40min). They said they would charge me $250 for the new BCM and $160 for one new key pad. A total rip off, especially for the key pad (just a month ago I both two new keys from Mr Mint for $175). I couldn't find a second hand BCM anywhere, including wreckers.

vr2nvpro

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commordoe
I need some help... My vr 1995 kept stalling on me I replaced the fuel pump was going good for a fre days without stalling one night it back fired on me and stalled and lost power started her up again got 50 metres and it stalled again I'm going to replace the crank angle sensor. Has this happen to anyone if so can u give me some info thanks

3OH5

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore
Crank Angle Sensor.
Harmonic Balancer.
Coil packs.

Generally Crank angle sensor will prevent car from starting.
Backfiring is an ignition problem.
Harmonic Balancer is cheaper than a Coil pack, so replace that first.
Also its usually just 1 connection on one of the 3 coil packs. So find a good second hand one (or fork out $180+ for new) and replace one coil at a time until you figure out which one is a dud.

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
First step, check error codes, don't blindly start replacing things.... do a search, grab a paper clip, short the pins, count the flashes, write the codes down and then lookup what is happening.

hb won't be it unless the blades are damaged, you can look at them when replacing the CAS (make sure none are bent), if they were hitting the cas and making noise then i'd suspect them but highly unlikely, only time i've seen that is with a s1 vn cause the cas mount is adjustable and the air gap is much smaller on them, it became lose and moved , but vn s2/vp/vr/vs/vt/vx you can't mount the cas incorrectly or adjust it.

with the symptoms i wouldn't blame a coil pack either, perhaps the dfi module under the coil packs or the cas, but check error codes first!

cod1933

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs s ute
I beat its the BCM, my vs commy did it a while ago and all you need to do it reset it by taking the negative terminal off you battery for 5mins i think and it should all be fine.

i hope this helps.

smoknvr:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
try ur ignition switch bit of a pain to swap but worth it i did it my self just make sure you dont need the car for the arvo