Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR 94 transmission problem.

Matt94vrcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Hey.
so I bought this vr and the transmission was slipping very badly. I had to drive it home so about a 20 minute drive in. Then replaced the transmission with a second hand one i found for just $80 (i know they are usually worth around 300 and this is very cheap).
I put it in myself. First time doing so. I did have help from someone who has replaced a few tramissions in the past.

since then...
The new transmission seems to be a little bit slippery on take off when it's cold, until it gets into second it's all fine.
Then took it to get roadworthy and they fixed a leak. The two tyranny lines were leaking were I cut the line and put a hose and clamps back together.
...problem thought to be fixed...

Then whilst i was driving i noticed a large amount of smoke. The tranny fluid was all over the exhaust. I topped it up and drove home. I assumed the gasket had been tightened to much and split. So I replaced it. Then it happened again whilst driving. Both time I had been driving for about 2 minutes. But when the car was in idle for 10 minutes, Not a drop. I just replaced the gasket again and the filter and it has happened yet again. I'm thinking about pulling the transmission off again and replaced the seal behind the torque converter. The lines are clean so it not them. The fluid seems so be coming from the fronttof the transmission between the pan and the iron cover the diagonal covers the toque converter.

Please help. I don't know what to do.

v6nutz_2012

Self-Confessed Basshead
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Members Ride
2000 VT S Pac "Gold Nugget"
I had the same thing happen with my VP, the pump seal went and spewed fluid everywhere so most likely whats happened to yours
Had a mate who works at a trans shop fix it for me and no problem since
Box could be a bit worn if its slipping slightly when cold

Matt94vrcom

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Yeah sound svery similar.
Is the pump seal the front seal behind the torque converter ?

Also was yours pissing out fluid in idle or only when you took it for a drive ?