Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR ABS rear brakes spin with brakes oushed on

bucks418

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
G'day everyone. I'm not sure if this is supposed to happen or not and need to use the collective grey matter to find a solution to this query.

My son has a VR with ABS. He complained to me about the brakes not being very good. I checked it out and found no leaks and the pads are reasonably new (about 5 months) still lots of meat on them. The issue is that with the brake pedal full on and I accelerate the rear wheels spin on gravel. I put in a seal kit in the calipers which looked in good condition anyway.

Why would the rear wheels spin with the brakes on? Is it an ABS norm or is there a problem?

appreciate any advice you can give.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Sounds normal to me.

My Acclaim would do it if I tried.

08sky_way

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
I would suggest that the brakes have not been bled properly. Take it to a mechanic - it's not worth compromising on safety.

bucks418

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
Thanks 08sky_way. Its definitely on the cards to see a mech, but I would like to understand why its happening first so I don't have everything changed except the cause of the problem if possible.

bucks418

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Commodore
I though that it may be the norm but want to make sure. Brakes aren't something I want to have strange behaviour with, with out being sure its norm. Thanks RX25SE

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The ABS on the VR-VS works differently than the VT onwards. They don't pulsate the pedal like the later model so you wouldn't feel the ABS working like you can in the VT. Spinning on gravel with the brakes on is normal to an extent, as long as you can feel that the engine is loaded up and the wheels aren't spinning freely as if the brakes weren't applied.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
The ABS on the VR-VS works differently than the VT onwards. They don't pulsate the pedal like the later model so you wouldn't feel the ABS working like you can in the VT. Spinning on gravel with the brakes on is normal to an extent, as long as you can feel that the engine is loaded up and the wheels aren't spinning freely as if the brakes weren't applied.

The ABS systems on VR and VS definitely make the brake pedal pulsate when the ABS is modulating the brake pressure if you lock a wheel or wheels. Ive done this lots of times in these cars when checking that the ABS is working correctly. They dont have traction control though, which is supposed to help stop excessive wheelspin in gravel etc..

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
It's funny because my old VS never pulsated the pedal, you could hear the ABS working through the wheels, but there was no feedback in the pedal at all. A friends VR was the same.

gossie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE International 3.6L
My VS pulsated. I tried it a couple of times on a dirt road.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah dunno, I know that with the VR's and VS's Ive tested this out on, and its been a few different cars, the pedal definitely pulsates, so you can easily feel it through the pedal, and you can hear it working as well. The VR and VS workshop manuals also mention that its normal for the brake pedal to pulsate when the ABS is controlling the braking, so it should not be mistaken for a fault in the braking system.