Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Acclaim trouble starting

vr_optimist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
Hey well my sisters VR Acclaim's been doing something weird lately, when you turn the key the lights on the dash all come on and you get that really quiet initial sound from the engine bay but the car wont turn over. Any ideas why this may be?

Also the lights on the dash stay on untill it eventually starts and it sometimes helps to move the car out of park down through gears then back into neutral or park.

Thanks

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
does it crank? can you hear the fuel pump primmming?
Hey well my sisters VR Acclaim's been doing something weird lately, when you turn the key the lights on the dash all come on and you get that really quiet initial sound from the engine bay but the car wont turn over. Any ideas why this may be?

Also the lights on the dash stay on untill it eventually starts and it sometimes helps to move the car out of park down through gears then back into neutral or park.

Thanks

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride

vr_optimist

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim
i think the quiet noise is the fuel pump so yeah, it doesnt turn over. all you get is lights on the dash and the quiet electric sounding noise from the engine bay (guessing its the fuel pump). and like i said it sometimes helps to move the tbar outa park and back in. we hav a theory that it might be something in the transmission, the selector or something cuz just recently the handbrake finally got fixed but befrore then it was mainly resting on the transmission to hold it on a hill.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sounds like the inhibitor switch, fairly common problem, you will find you have to hold the t bar up towards park and then it should start.

i think the quiet noise is the fuel pump so yeah, it doesnt turn over. all you get is lights on the dash and the quiet electric sounding noise from the engine bay (guessing its the fuel pump). and like i said it sometimes helps to move the tbar outa park and back in. we hav a theory that it might be something in the transmission, the selector or something cuz just recently the handbrake finally got fixed but befrore then it was mainly resting on the transmission to hold it on a hill.

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
its not hard to get to though, pop up the t bar surround, then 4 screws hold the plastic 'cage' around the tbar. Im not sure which connections are what though, i havn't had to deal with them before.

The inhibitor switch prevents the car from starting in gear, so if PARK isn't engaged properly, you'll have to kick it up when u start it. Happens with my car too lol.

Thanks

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
give it a shot? get back to us if thats not the issue and we can take it from there...best wishes
cool, thanks. ill tell her to try that