Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Air Con/Blower won't turn off!

Jambv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5.0
Hi,
I have a VR 5.0 Calais with Climate control. I tend to use the air con all the time. Today I had the air con running as usual but when I turned the car off the blower fan stayed on. The only way to turn it off was to disconnect the battery. Now when I start the car the climate control seems to work normally - changing fan speeds increases/decreases air flow, changing modes moves the air to feet or face vents etc but the blower fan just stays on once the ignition is turned off. I'm not really keen on taking it to Holden as I'll probably get hit with two days labour for taking the whole dash off etc. Any advice appreciated.

Jambv

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais 5.0
The fan doesn't turn off at all. I have waited about 3-4 minutes before disconnecting the battery.

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
Seems a little strange. Try turning the ignition on again (if the fans still going) then off to see if that works. I had that happen to me once a while ago, i just turned the ign on then off and it stoped. Havnt had any problems since.

I think its an electrical fault, has anyone touched your electircal system, like installing an alarm, tow bar electrics etc? May be something wrong with the ign barrel. Try turning everything else on (lights, heater, wipers etc) turn the ignition off and see if any others are doing the same thing. It they are then its the electrical system if its not then it will be the climate control.

My family owns a Merc Van (vito 2000 model, HEAP OF ****) and it has a feature where it will keep the fans on if you chose for a while. Is it the interior fans blowing? or from under the bonnet?

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
1996 VS Statesman Series 1 V6
Same problem happened with our statesman
(parents VR)

The problem was fixed by taking the car to an auto electrician.
Its a paticular solernoid or something along those lines.
It happened years ago back in 1995 so i am straining to remember.
All i can suggest is take it to and auto elec and get them to fix it.
Common issue with them, so the auto elec told my parents.
Next time i am talking to the old man i'll ask if he can remember
what it was exactly. Sorry for not being more helpful.

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
Almost 100% sure he got to it from inside the car as he removed the glovebox or the under dash panel on the driver side. Wasn't altered by under the bonnet. He original only dis-connected the climate so the car was still drivable with out jump starting it all the time (hence fan flattening battery), and it was fixed at a later date.

I am sure he mentioned it was a common problem that they had fixed over the years.....

feistl

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 6.3L/M6
What i was getting at is that seeing a auto elec can be quite expensive. Its its the climate control you can pick up the units for about $50 at a wreakers (i asked about them but you need to have all the other stuff all ready installed). If its the climate control box thats causeing it, it would be cheaper to replace the box and change it over yourself.

statesman_vs_s1

Reaction score
Members Ride
The problem is called a "fan amplifier"

Because it is not a switch that has 4 fan speeds,
it has a infinite fan speed, meaning no set fan speeds. Being Variable.
The climate control module then tells the fan what speed to run.

To access the unit it is under the valance??? under the windscreen.
Plastic moulded cover that the wipers park ontop off.
Apparently the part had to be ordered which wasn't expensive,
but took a few days to get in. Its housed in a box under that (in behind the vehicles dash board)

He originally started looking for problems in under dash but ened up locating the problem in the fan amplifier....
See how you go. Even go and question a auto elec on the problem and see if they suggest the same thing.

hope this helps.