Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Air Con/Blower won't turn off!

SIKVR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina N/A V6 3.8
This will allow you to still use the climate control on fan speed HI only (speed 3 on the LCD display from memory). At least this allows you to have heating/cooling while you get around to chasing up a new transistor or unit. I hope this has helped at least someone here. -Dave[/QUOTE said:
cheers: get that fixed then i got to service the auto(bloody auto :bang: )

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Black Betty - Supercharged VX Berlina
VX Berlina - Fan Amplifier Location

G'day All,
I seem to be having the same problem with my VX Berlina - The blower fan stays on high after the ignition is turned off.

Is the Fan Amp in the same place on a VX?

I've pulled off the wiper valance but all I can see underneath seems to be the wiper motor.

Any help greatly appreciated.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Haydo,
I can't answer your question but perhaps a search/post in the VX section would serve you better.

.....and nice dig btw.

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
It's definately the fan speed controller (fan amplifier) it has a large transistor on a heat sink and the transistor is shorted out so the fan wil run all the time.
You can take the unit out as described and take it apart and just change the transistor, use Google and type in the id numbers on the old one and you will find it. I fixed one ages ago like that, the part was about $14 from an electronics shop, much cheaper than a new one and there easy to replace yourself.

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Thanks Fellas, quick responses are the grouse! }:)

Scoping the forums tells me to look behind the glovebox... I've already got the transistor (2SD1297 or NEC D1297) cos I was sure that was the problem, mail order from Wagner elec in Sydney $20, 48 hours delivery... some peeps say it's a MOSFET you can get from Tricky Dicky for about $5 but I prefer to replace with the same part. Anyhoo, I'll see how I go.

RX25SE, forgive the noob lack of lingo but what's "nice DIG"?

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Thanks Fellas, quick responses are the grouse! }:)

Scoping the forums tells me to look behind the glovebox... I've already got the transistor (2SD1297 or NEC D1297) cos I was sure that was the problem, mail order from Wagner elec in Sydney $20, 48 hours delivery... some peeps say it's a MOSFET you can get from Tricky Dicky for about $5 but I prefer to replace with the same part. Anyhoo, I'll see how I go.

RX25SE, forgive the noob lack of lingo but what's "nice DIG"?

Yes I think it is accessed by removing the glove box in a VT to VZ and then there is a cover I think and the heat sink sits inside the heater duct so it can be air cooled. Also don't forget to use some heat sinking paste when you fit the new transistor to the heat sink.

michaeldavies

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Calais 5.7
Hi I have a VX calais and with climate control but the fan will not run whe operating, although the fan will only run when set on high which is like an override setting, dfoes anyone know what the problem might be, and how much it may cost to repair?

moff_man

operation HQ under way.
Reaction score
Members Ride
95 VR II berlina wagon v6, 72 HQ ute 253
hello and welcome,some house keeping first, its best to start a new tread in the right section instead of replying to an old one, but we are here now so lets continue.

it sounds like the fan amplefyer is knackerd, its the same sorta thing as a resistor pack for the std a/c.

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
New thread, bugger that bro!

I know its been a while but I finally managed to get the transistor (MJ11032) & repair the fan speed amp.. plugged it back in (without refitting the golve box & mounting it back) then took Black Betty for a 10 minute test drive with the blower fan / climate control working as expected... stopped to get cigs at the servo and bugger me, it $hi!t itself again. Touched the heatsink on the fan speed amp & burnt the finger prints off my left hand it was cooking so much! WTF?
Anyone know what might cause this or what other electrical systems could affect the blower fan? Sounds like a job for an auto elec which is what I was trying to avoid.:spew:

Haydo

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yes I think it is accessed by removing the glove box in a VT to VZ and then there is a cover I think and the heat sink sits inside the heater duct so it can be air cooled. Also don't forget to use some heat sinking paste when you fit the new transistor to the heat sink.

Awwwww cockatoo crap, are you saying I fried my repair work by not mounting it back into position. #uck me sideways! I thought about that, even used extra heat sink compound.