Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr aircon not cold

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
i have recently replaced the condensor and dryer and had all the o rings in the compressor and condenser replaced i also fitted a new pipe from the condensor to the bulk head and had the system re gassed it was working fine but now it isnt cold anymore.
ive checked the compressor its still switching on there is still gas in the system and i cant see any leaks as they put green dye in the gas and i would see if it was leaking
what would cause it to not be cold anymore

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Quite possibly your heater tap is still switched on - this means that you are mixing hot air with cold and getting warm air. The way to check if this is happening is to check the brass heater pipe located under the steering wheel to the left and above your left ankle - it should be cold when the engine is running - if hot/warm then the heater tap is ON. I've attached pix to show you where to look. If it is hot, then you need to reattach the arm that goes from the temp dial....not as easy as it sounds so if you have trouble report back.
Good Luck.

Attachments

• heater vacuum.jpg
    heater vacuum.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 847
  • hot.jpg
    hot.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 821

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Hako doesn't a flap close when the a/c is on to isolate the heater core even if it's warm? or does it always run through the heater core even if A/C is on????

Jimmer when the a/c has been running for a few minutes, feel the big pipe coming from the passengers firewall under the engine bay, how cold is it?

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
Ok guys cheers I will check it out and report back

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Hako doesn't a flap close when the a/c is on to isolate the heater core even if it's warm? or does it always run through the heater core even if A/C is on????

Jimmer when the a/c has been running for a few minutes, feel the big pipe coming from the passengers firewall under the engine bay, how cold is it?

On cars with climate control, the heater is isolated by a flap which blends hot/cold air continually according to the temp you dial and the heater always has coolant flowing thru it, but on the peasant models with everyday A/C it has to be turned off by a heater tap otherwise it is always blending hot air with cold....I'm presuming Jimmer has the peasant one.
If his aircon clutch is engaging that means there is gas there.

Z2TT

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Commodore
Ah so in Non Climate Control, air always flows through the core so if tap is bad it would heat up the air.

Also about what you said Hako about on Clim Control VS where water always flows through the core, I don't think it does, because I have a heater tap too with a vacuum diaphragm and when heater is off
I feel the core and it is cool, so I don't think heater core always has water flowing through it.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Ah so in Non Climate Control, air always flows through the core so if tap is bad it would heat up the air.

Also about what you said Hako about on Clim Control VS where water always flows through the core, I don't think it does, because I have a heater tap too with a vacuum diaphragm and when heater is off
I feel the core and it is cool, so I don't think heater core always has water flowing through it.

You're probably correct - I'm only familiar with the standard A/C where if you want cold air (not warm), you dial cold on the temp dial and this operates the heater control rod connected to a vacuum switch that then actuates a vacuum diaphragm on the heater tap in the engine compartment. The manual states "models with electronic climate control do not have the heater control rod" then I found: Faults - VS Interior
and then searching further I found posts saying climate control doesn't use a heater tap.....so if you have climate control and you have a heater tap then it looks like they do.

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
ok ive checked the pipes that you said to check and they are red hot

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
ok the arm connecting to that rod in your picture is on, i noticed that when it was turned to cold it wasnt pushing the pressure swith in so i adjusted it so it pushed it fully in, but still no cold air i have found the heater tap, i removed the small hose from the heater tap and when i turn the dial to cold the pipe is sucking in an when i turn it to hot it doesnt suck, so does this mean my heater tap is shafted

jimmer79

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr ute & vs sedan
just took the heater tap out and checked it it seems to be working fine i left a hose on one end started the engine turned it to cold an the water stopped coming out then i turned it to hot and the water came out i put it all back together now with the engine on the pipes in the car are staying cold and the air is cold again, so i dunno what has happened i noticed inside the heater tap its very brown an full of crap so maybe i will change it anyway incase the crap is sometimes keeping it stuck open