Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR ALDL plug - 8 pin?

ryan1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Hey,

I've got a VR engine in an old BMW. I used the VR wiring harness, but i didnt use the BCM.

I want to run diagnostics and im trying to find the plug, so i can buy the cable for it.

All i can see is an 8 pin square plug, coming off the ECU wiring loom. Would that be it??

It doesnt look like the other one i've seen in pictures, near the brake pedal.

Ryan

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
nah it will be missing unless you used the dash harness.im presuming its the auto ecu if you have the check engine light wired into A7 to make it flash codes D6 is diagnostic request fit a wire from there to earth to make it blink codes

ryan1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
okay so i guess i could just attatch a globe of some sort to A7 ?

How could i go about connecting to cable so i can run EFI live, etc? Does the dash harness connect to that 8 pin plug?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
it runs from ignition through globe then to A7 to make it setup so it flashes codes.efilive you get the aldl output from PIN C11

ryan1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
Okay well im pretty confused now. What would be the easiest way to get it set up with the factory plug? Just connect the dash harness? What's the 8 pin square plug i've found for?

The factory plug is 16 pin isnt it, so im guessing i need to find out where each of the 16 wires goes on the ecu loom?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
it has a lot of pins but not all of them are used 1 pin for 12v from ignition feed one for aldl data one for earth and 1 for the diagnostic request its easiest just to run them youself from the pins above at the ecu plugs

ryan1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
ok - so if u can tell me which one's for aldl data, and diagnostic request, i can buy the cable, chop the end off, then perhaps you can tell me which wire goes to what? and im set?

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
yip shes easy as to wire up mate let me know when you get the aldl cable and ill sort you out

ryan1980

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN
ok mate awesome. would a vn, vp cable do? as theres a cheap one on ebay...

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
nope need a VR-VS 8192 baud one michaelW off here has one on ebay now