Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR auto stalling in reverse

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Hey, just wondering if anyone has ever had a similar problem to this.

On Saturday night i was in a dead end street doing a 3 point turn (i got lost lol) and as i went to reverse up the slight hill to turn around, i gave it a bit, the tyres screeched slightly and then the engine cut out and i lost steering and brakes etc. I put it into park and then started it again, drove away and it was fine.
This hasn't happened for some time. A few months ago it would happen whenever reversing up a slight incline. The car would stall, I'd apply the handbrak and put it in park, then start the car and it would be fine. After 2 or 3 times of putting up with this, I took the car to mechanic and he diagnosed that the problem was my injectors. He found out that one of the seals had deterriorated, so he replaced all of the seals and cleaned them all. The car had been running fine since then.

Now, what gets me even more worried is that I just went to put the car in the garrage and it didnt start properly, it kind of gurgled, as if no fuel. It has 3/4's of a tank of fuel and when i started it again it was fine. I got it into the garage and popped the bonnet and noticed there is no coolant in the overflow bottle thingy. could this be the problem.

I hope its no biggy, I have schoolies coming up soon and am having enough trouble saving for that :(

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
top up and bleed the cooling system. Use a good quality coolant. There are instructions in the how too section on how to bleed it.

Run some injector cleaner and maybe a new air and fuel filter, new plugs and leads too. Basically a full service. Let me know how we go

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
Ohk, yeah i have bled the cooling system before so no dramas there. With the injector cleaner, is that hard to do?
The fuel filter is only about 1000kms old, so it should be fine?
And ill see about the plugs and leads. maybe leave them to last, because I have some coolant in the garage so its easier to do the cheaper things first :)

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
injector cleaner is about $10, its just a liquid you add to the petrol.
Plugs are about $6 each for NKG and leads are about $60 i think...

When did you last check the cooling system etc?

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
With the injector cleaner, is that hard to do?
Pour it in the petrol tank and go for a long drive.... it couldn't be any easier.:thumbsup:

nathg

Reaction score
Members Ride
MX83
When did you last check the cooling system etc?

Ahh this would have been maybe 2 months ago. the first couple of times that it stalled would have been about 5-6 months ago now that i think about it.

In terms of the cooling system, everything should be top notch. I put in a new thermostat, hoses and clamps and i had the radiator sent away to see if anything was wrong with it. The mechanic checked it all and its all fine but i guess there is no harm in bleeding again.

Oh lol, i didnt realise injector cleaner was such an easy process. I'll try and get around to it tomorrow inbetween hsc study :whistling

Cursed CX8

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Adventra
let us know how you go, i love finding out what the problem was