Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR auto transmission leak

Jackson VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
Hey team, after some in sight into my dramas iv got. My trans is pissing fluid out. At first was hard to tell where from (probably because it was actually coming from several spots) so this is where I’m at now. Iv replaced the (leaking) cooler lines and replaced the pan gasket and filter while I was in there. So now iv got those small leaks out of the way I’m fairly sure it’s coming from the front seal where the torque converter sits..., does this sound about right? Has anyone seen this before? I just want to make sure before I go pulling the trans out and replacing this seal. Also if ve got it out is there any other seals or gaskets I should replace while I’m in there. Thanks crew.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Never seen a bad leak from the front seal, like you're describing but yes they can leak. If it is really pouring out I would say some one has had the trans out and has tried reinstalling it with the TC left bolted to the flex plate, rather than inserted into the trans. May need to replace the rear ext housing seal as they tend to weep after a while.

Jackson VR

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Ute
Yeah some monkey has definitely had this ole girl apart before. Haha.
It only leaks once it’s warmed up but I’m 90% sure it’s from inside the bellhousing area so that’s the only thing I can think of. Unless it’s possible for the Torque converter to have a hairline crack or something silly like that.... but I doubt it