Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR back end rattle

Jahwah

Jamie91
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Hey guys just wondering if anyone can help me out.
I have a annoying rattle coming from my back end was thinking maybe suspension but checked it out and suspension is all fine. Now leaning towards control arm or bushes? Any help would be very appreciated!

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Stand the car up on chassis stands so the rear axle hangs free and get under there with a long screwdriver and lever the suspension arms back and forth etc where the bushes are to check for excessive movement.I know a guy who had a rattle coming from the back area of the car,he couldnt find it for ages.It turned out the jack in the boot wasnt tight enough in its holder and it was rattling,so check out how tight the jack is held in its holder in the boot.Its definitely one of those things that can be easily overlooked.

GothicKidd

ლ(ಠ益ಠლ
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 Exec
You could check your boot, and take all the stuff in the boot out.. and see if theres a rattle. -Just look at it like the supercheap auto ad... Dont go do anything to extreme before checking where the noise is coming from xD

woteva

NEED 4 SPEED
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 Sportwagon - VR2 V6 ecotec Wag - VS2 V6 Wag
Had a rattle in my rear. Found the centre exhaust rubber busted and the exhaust was just touching the corner of the petrol tank. The noise was only heard at low revs.

Jahwah

Jamie91
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I thought it may be the jack so I took it out. I pulled everything out oft car swell and the rattle is still there. Shocks and springs are being replaced tomorrow to make my car a fraction higher so I dint script on every speed bump and driveway lol

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Worn shockers can sound like a crate full of glass bottles.

Jahwah

Jamie91
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
I found the problem. Bushes on the sway bar and upper control arm bar rat ####. Replaced shocks and springs today rattle not as bad. Oldshocks were very bad. So next plan is new bushes and to figure why my car shudders and stalls:(

Jonno

:)
Reaction score
Members Ride
;)
wait before u do that start the car up and get under the back. on my commodre the baffles inside the exhaust came loose and were rattleing around inside the exhaust
and the back muffler was hitting the fuel tank

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Broken exhaust hanger can also cause the exhaust pipe to knock / vibrate on the panhard rod. Mine did it (again) last week.

Jahwah

Jamie91
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive
Checked out the exhaust and it defiantly wasnt that. The bushes on the sway bar are ####ed and sway bar is bent so I'm going to replace that and control arms and hopefully fix the problem