Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Bad Starting

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
My VR Acclaim has a small problem with staring. First hit of the key it winds about 5-8 times and wont start just cough and splatter. Then second hit of the key it starts fine. Very annoying problem, any ideas?

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY08 Subaru Liberty GT-B & MY16 VF II SS Redline
My VR Acclaim has a small problem with staring. First hit of the key it winds about 5-8 times and wont start just cough and splatter. Then second hit of the key it starts fine. Very annoying problem, any ideas?

Could be your fuel pump on the way out? Can you hear it priming before cranking the engine over?

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
car only has 141000kms on it but it is a 93 model. Could it be the fuel pump???

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
car only has 141000kms on it but it is a 93 model. Could it be the fuel pump???

It does sound like a fuel delivery issue, could be the pump, or maybe lack of pressure perhaps. Whilst the mileage is quite low for a car of that age, maybe age is catching up with the pump....

Might also pay to check that you are getting a good spark. Does the car run normally when you are driving? Is it coughing and spluttering at any other time?

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
Car runs very well once started, slight cough but i think thats just age, not too sure. Yes the fuel pump does kick in with key on and builds up pressure in a matter of seconds, it has had new injectors put in so the fuel pump should of been picked up then. I am thinking that it may be a spark issue, maybe just plugs or fuel filter. Does that sound right even though it runs fairly smooth driving and idling???

Harvs82

Reaction score
Members Ride
Check your error codes, maybe something else is the issue.

Another theory here: Maybe check your coolant temperature sensor, the one for the ECU, it could be telling the ECU that the temperature is a lot colder than it really is, causing an overly rich fuel mixture on startup, to the point where the engine may be flooding itself when starting. I would suggest that the oxygen sensors are not to blame, as they are not used in the startup proceedure, and only come into play when the exhaust gases are hot enough, and when the ECU switches into open loop...

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Could be fuel pump. Hope that it isnt. A real bi*ch of a job. A fuel pump on the way out will sometimes struggle to start, but will run fine once shes going, so its a bit hard to tell. It may or may not be. Start with spark plugs, they are cheap and may be all she needs.

djlingard

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive
no error codes. Might start with leads, fuel filter, and plugs to see what that does.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
My first suggestions costs nothing.....turn the key to ignition, count to three, then hit the starter. Your problem may also be a sluggish battery in your key head or the contacts on the switch which take the ID from the key may be dirty.....turning the key again may clean the contacts...temporarily.