Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Battery drain

metlhead666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais 3.8
g-day for sum reason im geting a 5v draw from - to + without battery?charging is fine battery is to.
also done diagnostic and whilst readin codes the fuel light flashes vigirously any help much appreciated cheers

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
i dont get it, how can you have 5v at all with no battery. Let alone 5v at all in a 12 - 14.5v system. Its not very clear what your trying to say.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
im still not sure how you can draw 5 amps with no battery still. The normal thing to do if your battery is going flat overnight ect.. is to lift off the positive lead off the battery and put the ammeter between that and the battery + post then start pulling fuses to see what cct the power is being drawn from. 5 amps is alot though and sounds more like a dud regulator in the alternator, thats usually what they draw when they are dead, but could be anything

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Five amps is about what my VS Calais draws with all the interior lights on before the BCM turns them off.

Andrew426

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP calais, VR Berlina, VJ valiant, BG5 legacy
Could be a dicky rear window heater relay, that draws about 60 watts and would hardly be noticable if it were left on.

metlhead666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais 3.8
im still not sure how you can draw 5 amps with no battery still. The normal thing to do if your battery is going flat overnight ect.. is to lift off the positive lead off the battery and put the ammeter between that and the battery + post then start pulling fuses to see what cct the power is being drawn from. 5 amps is alot though and sounds more like a dud regulator in the alternator, thats usually what they draw when they are dead, but could be anything

if ur diodes are gone then you whole battery can leak back through the brushes and to earth bein 6mm +core cable it will have high current draw...if changed both alternator and starter no difference....have pulled all external relays and fuses no change and the battery is sweet...i done dianostic got 12 then 48 plus my fuel light was flashing vigirously and im nt sure that its supposed to do that i am a motorbike mechanic by trade and do undastand autimotive mechanical and electrical but this hahah this is doin my head in m8

metlhead666

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais 3.8
Five amps is about what my VS Calais draws with all the interior lights on before the BCM turns them off.

its recently had a new bcm and weve checked that lights arent on etc
its also very hard to start its almost like theres no residual pressure in the fuel rail but thts an intermiting fault