Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr berlina is stalling, no mechanics seem to be able to find the problem :(

meldoll26

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr berlina
Okay, so a couple of months ago I took my vr into the mechanics to get my engine mounts replaced. My partner picked my car up and he didn't notice anything odd. The next day I droge it to work and noticed the it was purging sometimes when I was braking coming to a stop.. and it stalled a couple of times as I was stopping but turned straight back on when I restarted it. I took the car back.. apparently nothing was wrong. I then noticed that when I drive it on the highway the engine light comes on sometimes. I have since taken it to three different mechanics and they all say the same thing! Or that they have fixed it! Since It first started this I have changed the air filter, spark plugs, put an injector cleaner through, full throttle body clean, the throttle body clips replaced, stepper motor cleaned and a new battery.. all of which has not solved the problem.before I changed the battery I realised that it was stalling especially at night when my headlights were on, the lights on the dash and the headlights flickered as well when it was about to stall. I replaced the battery tue other day and it still does it. I am getting frustrated as hefore the engine mounts I had the fuel pump replaced as well as the filter, it has a new radiator, crank angle sensor, harmonic balancer... you name it I have done it. Everything on this car has been replacedpretty much. Has anyone had the same problem and were able to fix it?!?
I need this car to be reliable again as I am halfway through my pregnancy and am getting frustrated with the trial and error of these mechanics who seem to be wasting my time and my money ! I can't sell the car with this problem obviously and I can't keep driving it with this problem either!

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
I'd be checking all the earth points from the battery terminals to the car body and the bigger main negative wire to the engine block (it's near the drivers side engine mount, make sure the bolt holding it to the engine block is tight)

Now with the engine light coming on has any of the mechanics told you what error/fault code was logged? Would be a help to try and diagnose, what have the mechanics "replaced/fixed"?

jgtoranalc

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Statesman VR HSV 5L, Holden Torana LC
Did the Mechanics check the Timing? Requires a Timing Light.....

Also I don't know if it happens to the holdens but when I used to work on Mitsubishi's, when the Auto Trans fluid was low, the engine would stall, just needed topping up.

(Also more info about the car would be good... Engine - V6 or V8, Trans - Auto or Manual..... cheers)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds to me like your alternator isn't charging properly, which is why the battery eventually runs flat, and why the engine stalls when you use the headlights and other electrical items at night.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
Jxw's suggestion of checking the earth points seems reasonable to me.

It might throw some extra light on it to get those fault codes. You can do that yourself with a paperclip. How to do it and what the codes are is on here. If you get lots of ostensibly unrelated codes then an the earth problem is more likely than a fault with a specific part.

yoshi87

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
i agree the alternator might not be charging too well, earth points might be dirty, error codes to be checked, be careful tho, as the vr and vs error codes r different so double check the codes and the reason behind it as the code 48 on a vr is Crankshaft Reference Signal Missing vs is Cam Angle Sensor

smoknvr:)

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 vr acclaim
try your ignition switch?????my vr started stalling and asked a mate that suggested ign switch,replaced it myself and still going good...theres a how to on the forum if ur keen to give it a go urself...like i said i did,got the switch from sprints,took bout 45 mins,saved myself abit of cash too,worth a try as it seems ur having a few issues with ur vr.

onlockdrifter

Reaction score
Members Ride
L67 vs statesman series III
Scan the computer for fault codes. Easiest way mate. Then pm me if you like