Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr blowing excessive black smoke

dmentd_diva

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
Ok so I had the car at the mechanics to have the trailing arm bushes done.. I've got it back blowing a **** load of black smoke, idle is going mental, too high, then crashes and stalls.. it used half a tank to drive 32ks.. it didn't do this before it went in there and they had no need to touch anything engine wise.. what do we think has happened.. someone mentioned fuel pump.. any ideas will be helpfull ..

The1

A Memcal a Day Keeps..
Reaction score
Website
www.eyeit.org
Members Ride
VS V6 Berlina Auto
prob o2 sensor, check for fault codes.

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Check temp sensor and \fuel reg if the above suggestions give you no joy.

K-BAGZ

De Plane! De Plane!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR II S-pac V6 Ute / VZ SV6 Sedan / VZ R8
As above.

Black smoke is incorrect air/fuel mixture, mostly rich.

Check fuel system and EMS.

aussie4life

Keep It Simple Stupid
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE International 3.0L
i had a similar problem with my vr. basically had it at work and had the mechanic look at replacing o2 sensor. i didnt have the money for a new one and he told me that he had to cut the wire off. anyway long story short, i could actually watch the fuel needle drop as i drove only a short distance. this was due to the fact that he had forgotten to plug the sensor back in. its on the passanger side of the car.mounted in the exhaust. btw was it rear or front bushes replaced? might have moved the exhaust if it was the rears

spauldj308

S Pack Man
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S sedan 5L, VSII ute
Could also be a vacuum hose has fallen off somewhere, my old 6 did that once.

jas98

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore V6 S2 and a BA XR6T
could they have damaged a fuel line when doing the trailing arms? maybe the fuel return line makeing it have way too much pressure??

dmentd_diva

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
could they have damaged a fuel line when doing the trailing arms? maybe the fuel return line makeing it have way too much pressure??

It was the rear upper trailing arm bushes they replaced.. I'm going to go jump under it now and check a few of the things you guys suggested.. this guy also quoted me $450 to replace the fuel pump, so I'm thinking he may have done something to make me believe thats what it needed.. thanks for all the suggestions guys I'll let you know what I find

dmentd_diva

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
As above.

Black smoke is incorrect air/fuel mixture, mostly rich.

Check fuel system and EMS.

sorry to keep using quotes, I'm on my phone and it won't let me reply without using a quote.

Anyway I just found a vacuum hose from the throttle body to the map sensor was disconnected, I re connected it and now it won't start, disconnected it, and still won't start. Its turning over and sounds much better than it did this morning, its not popping and spluttering while it's turning over, it's just not firing. I've had a read through the manual but still not coming up with anything..

Forgive my stupidity and asking so many questions. I'm fine to fix things just useless at diagnosis in fuel injected cars..