Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Brake Booster

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
Hi Guys.

Before the Brakes were quite heavy to pull it up, but seems all VRs are like this, So anyway it still stopped no problem.
I went to pop to the shops today and i have to pretty much put my foot to the floor to stop from about 20KM/H, and then its just a gentle stop. also when the car is off, i can keep pushing the brake pedal quite easy, some pressure builds up but im still able to push it to the floor, when i start the car with my foot on the brake firm, the pedal moves down. So Im not sure if its the Cylinder or the booster.

Cheers

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Sounds like the booster has failed check the hose from engine to booster see if its split

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
If the pedal is spongy and has long travel with the engine off then its a faulty master cylinder.
You said when the pedal is firm and you start the car, the pedal sinks down so this would indicate the booster is working correctly.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
well i just tried it in the VY, i cannot move the pedal at all when all the air is gone.
In the VR, I Pump it a few times, it get firm but i can still almost push it all the way, but yes when the car is started the pedal moves down. So it might still be fine, well ill just get a used cylinder & booster and see cause i really dont feel like bleeding brakes i hate it

EDGE3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VS COMMODORE,1996 GTS-R COMMODORE
Get brand new ones why risk it with used

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
I would recommend a new master cylinder on your old booster. From what you describe, the booster is fine and the master crook.

You WILL need to bleed the brakes, no choice.
Flush the fluid while you are at it.

DONT skimp, or do half arsed jobs on brakes. Your life and the lives of those around you depend on it.

edit: agree with above.

edals

Reaction score
Members Ride
-
I Never do a half arsed job ever, what i mean was 2nd hand from my father inlaw that has a written off VR just to confirm what the issue is, but im thinking its the cylinder also. have to go get a bleed kit also, ffs and just bought a VY, cant move this one on till its sorted :( and yes the little brake power it has is scary