Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR brake caliper and rotors upgrade

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
yeah no problem with 19 i have 17 vx ss ve 321mm caliper/rotors, this kit was from rda but these have been discontinued
the one phillbert have from ebay , used the 328mm rotor which was used by hsv vr/vs

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I have VT front, VE rear and VZ master/booster

- VT fronts = soft stock pedal but easy fit. VE fronts are supposed to feel better, but I heard some adapter brackets were dodgy and breaking.
- VE rears just help even up the look. Definitely help stop flatter (rather than nose down) but had trouble with handbrake ring slipping on it.
- VZ 26mm master and booster fixed so many issues and feels awesome. Size adapter for rear line was a bit custom to make work. Custom mount bracket was painful to make but SO worth it. Angle sucks for full lines, and not sure if low level sensor works or not.

That's my 2c

Shane VR94SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0L
I have VT front, VE rear and VZ master/booster

- VT fronts = soft stock pedal but easy fit. VE fronts are supposed to feel better, but I heard some adapter brackets were dodgy and breaking.
- VE rears just help even up the look. Definitely help stop flatter (rather than nose down) but had trouble with handbrake ring slipping on it.
- VZ 26mm master and booster fixed so many issues and feels awesome. Size adapter for rear line was a bit custom to make work. Custom mount bracket was painful to make but SO worth it. Angle sucks for full lines, and not sure if low level sensor works or not.

That's my 2c
Thanks for the info got a few ideas now thanks to everyone a big help I’m thinking possibly the ve setup on the front but just don’t know what I’m going to do with the rear at this stage weather to just put some T2 rotors on with a set of of good pads and leave the original system or look at something else their. I’ve heard a lot of dramas with the rear due to handbrake

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
when i did my rears i just brought reco calipers of ebay, t2 rotors braided hoses and rda pads
biggest improvement was fitting a modified vt mc/ booster i got of ebay couple of years ago and this give me option of fitting any caliper

Shane VR94SS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR SS 5.0L
Generally you don't need to upgrade the rear for street use, only race situation.
My thoughts as well 95% of time street use with an odd track day but not many. Thanks for your help and feedback it’s a real help.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
My thoughts as well 95% of time street use with an odd track day but not many. Thanks for your help and feedback it’s a real help.
You cant really go wrong with either vt or ve, basically they are the same with vt just having slighty larger pad area and both will work ok with standard rears.

Disk Size - Pads - Piston Diameter sizes below
VT Standard , 28mm x 296mm , 184 x 63 x 15 mm , 42.0mm x 2
VE Standard , 30mm x 298mm , 153 x 53 x 17 mm , 41.9mm x 2

VPRob

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP executive sedan V6
I have the VT upgrade (front only) using the standard 296mm rotors with a VT/VY master cylinder and VT/VY booster. I'm very happy with the boost in stopping power and really like the very smooth progressive feel of the pedal as you increase pressure. A very significant improvement over the old brakes.
My upgrade is on a VP so I had the increased expense of needing a kit with adaptor hubs because VP and earlier has the hub and rotor as one unit. Not a problem for you on a VR.
I've not experienced the same upgrade at the wheels but using the VS booster which some opt for as there is no need to modify the booster mounting bracket in that case.
Mine is a minimal upgrade compared to what Marko has done on his VR. Check out his posts!

Gillyvrcalaisvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Calais
With the VE setup you can run the standard MC and Booster, No shims needed
I picked up my set for $600 about a year ago on eBay, 328mm Slotted Disc, VE Calipers/Pads and Adapter Plate
Hello Shane were there any problems with finding caliper mounting brackets