Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr brake light shows up when starting the engine

_ethan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 s2
the light only shows up for a split second while im trying to start the engine and then disappears moments later when its running. its got to the point where the car wont even start so i got a new starter motor thinking it was a separate issue but didnt change. as soon as i disconnect the fault code sensor plug thing on the brake reservoir she starts first shot.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
This is just a suggestion, I feel you probably require your brakes to be properly bled as you might have air trapped in your Master Cylinder, it's a good start.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like you might need a new master cylinder or have some other problems with your brake system. I assume you have checked the level of brake fluid in the master cylinder, but when is the last time the fluid was changed (should be every two years). The description below is from the Holden VS Service Manual, but I believe the last section is similar for the VR. Having said that, I'm surprised that the error stops the car from starting.

Master Cylinder Construction (VS)
"The tandem master cylinder arrangement provides separate hydraulic circuits for the application of the brakes, in a front to rear split arrangement. Both of these circuits are fed by separate fluid feed and compensating ports, through a common fluid reservoir, that is sealed by a diaphragm fitted inside the reservoir cover. Provision of this diaphragm provides an effective seal against the moisture in the atmosphere coming into contact with the hygroscopic brake fluid, thereby maintaining the brake fluid's design boiling point, for a maximum period of time......."

"In all vehicles except Utility, a proportioning valve is located in a parallel bore in the same casting. This valve is used to maintain the front to rear hydraulic pressure balance and, should one of the two separate systems fail, a separate piston and differential switch (brake warning lamp switch) are incorporated into the design, so that the vehicle operator can be warned of a system malfunction."

_ethan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 s2
*update*
The problem isn’t primarily the brake system cause now it’s not starting with the sensor disconnected. I tried reconnecting and disconnecting the reservoir sensor, tried different battery and jump starting the car, tried tapping the two points on the starter motor and she clicks just doesn’t start. The interior lights work fine

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Sounds like the starter motor needs replacing or you have a wiring/connector problem. If you jack up the car and place on stands, you can check out the condition of the wiring and connector at the starter motor end, and using a multimeter, you can check if you are getting 12 volts at the starter motor.

StephenM

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Equippe Series II
*update*
The problem isn’t primarily the brake system cause now it’s not starting with the sensor disconnected. I tried reconnecting and disconnecting the reservoir sensor, tried different battery and jump starting the car, tried tapping the two points on the starter motor and she clicks just doesn’t start. The interior lights work fine
If it is clicking but not starting, the contacts in the solenoid could be stuffed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
If it is clicking but not starting, the contacts in the solenoid could be stuffed.

In 30 years of owning cars including plenty of Holden's, I have never had an issue with the solenoid. I have heard it many a time people saying solenoid issue. However in my experience more often than not starter motor problems end up being worn out, or burnt brushes, on some vehicles the latter is often caused by leaking oil filter adapters depending on location of the oil filter.

Last edited:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Check the battery connections and the ones on the starter as well. Once you have done that have the battery load tested.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
using a multimeter, you can check if you are getting 12 volts at the starter motor.

Without any disrespect BlackVXGTS it's easy to get 12 volts at the starter, but getting the amperage (current) that's another thing and that's what it all relies on.

_ethan

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 3.8 s2
Sounds like the starter motor needs replacing or you have a wiring/connector problem. If you jack up the car and place on stands, you can check out the condition of the wiring and connector at the starter motor end, and using a multimeter, you can check if you are getting 12 volts at the starter motor.
I redone the whole wiring loom to anything that had to do with the starter motor and now she works a charm, thanks