Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

vr brake upgrade

aphexcloud

mech
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6/5.7l wh statesman
Hi All
have had a quick loo around the forums and couldnt find anything the stood out so if this has already been covered please link the thread.

i am doing a v6-v8 conversion and would like to up grade the front breaks,master and maby the booster dependong on that is wrong with the systemi have a leaky master and instead of just a straight replacment i thort i would go down the path of an up graded one so if any one knows any brands/part numbers that make better masters that suit a vr.
I also am looking at upgrading the front breaks and was wondering if any one knows a good after market brand of what model commo that has good breaks that will suit a vr
break and rotor size sint a problem as i havent bought wheels for it yet and am cinda scaling the wheels to suit the breaks.

also if any one had vr v8 cluster lowered shocks and super low springs they want to get rid of pm me maby we can sort somthing out

thank you in advance

Ps: sorry for the little to no punctuation and bad spelling i am dislexic

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
people say upgrading to vt brakes, tbh i have no idea why and dont know if they fit vr im sure they fix vs so why not? but anyway thats something ive heard also i might be able to get v8 super lows for the front if your interested

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
people say upgrading to vt brakes, tbh i have no idea why and dont know if they fit vr im sure they fix vs so why not? but anyway thats something ive heard also i might be able to get v8 super lows for the front if your interested

Because they have two pistons instead of one, and they have both a bigger caliper and a bigger rotor. They have much more stopping power than the VR/VS standard brakes. You can get a kit from Holmart with everything you need for roughly $400. Hopper's Stoppers (I think thats the name) in Hoppers Crossing did have a VT brake kit at one stage. They do a fair bit of brake upgrade work to, so you might want to check them out.

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...1993-1997/74570-vt-booster-m-c-vr-v8-abs.html

https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/how-vt-brake-upgrade.75831

Pm markovr, he makes the vt master/booster setup with adaptor bracket to suit vn-vs all complete and posted to you for a reasonable price. thats if you dont wanna make it yourself using the instructions in the links.

Its up to you if you wanna buy a upgrade kit off someone or source some second hand front rotors and calipers off a VT-VZ for as cheaps as you can and see a brake shop for some new longer brake lines. The hub rings you can getoff ebay for about $40.

aphexcloud

mech
Reaction score
Members Ride
vr v6/5.7l wh statesman
cheers vrwagz1 going to be getting one of the booster/master setups from him soon

stocky

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 HSV Clubsport T5, 1991 VN Berlina
just grab some VT rotors, calipers, master cylinder and booster. should set you back $300-500, but its a great upgrade. or else you can look into a VE upgrade kit for around $800

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
The VE upgrade kit comes with 322mm slotted and dimpled gold passivated rotors, new VE calipers, new braided brake lines, new pads, brake fluid and the mounting hardware. I do them closer to $700. A set of slotted rear rotors if you want upgrade the rear is really all the is needed back there.

Silver_VS_II

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore series II
Because they have two pistons instead of one, and they have both a bigger caliper and a bigger rotor. They have much more stopping power than the VR/VS standard brakes. You can get a kit from Holmart with everything you need for roughly $400. Hopper's Stoppers (I think thats the name) in Hoppers Crossing did have a VT brake kit at one stage. They do a fair bit of brake upgrade work to, so you might want to check them out.

cheers mate thats interesting to know

mcvk

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive V6 Auto
I just got a pair of front VT rotors, calipers and adaptor shims to put on my VS V6 Exec.

However, I also want to install braided hoses while I'm at it. Do I need VS, VT or custom hoses?

Where do people recommend getting braided hose from?

Another thing the Gregory's manual says, 'Note: The caliper lockbolts have special locking compound on the threads and therefore must be renewed if removed'. Have other people done this?

Cheers

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
I just got a pair of front VT rotors, calipers and adaptor shims to put on my VS V6 Exec.

However, I also want to install braided hoses while I'm at it. Do I need VS, VT or custom hoses?

Where do people recommend getting braided hose from?

Another thing the Gregory's manual says, 'Note: The caliper lockbolts have special locking compound on the threads and therefore must be renewed if removed'. Have other people done this?

Cheers

You need custom ones, Just go to a local brake shop and ask them to make you some. They basically need to fit the fittings for the vr factory brake piping on one end and at the other end the fittings for the vt caliper and overall the hose is longer. At a pinch standard vt hoses will adapt and screw into the vr but on full lock they kink:shutup: