Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR BT1 Speedo Illumination

mess666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L BT1
Just a quick question ..

Does anyone know if the BT1 speedo needle is supposed to be illuminated?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would imagine it would be the same as any other speedo - yes. May just be a dead light. Do a search on 'instrument cluster' for instructions on removing the instrument cluster. Lights twist out.

mess666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L BT1
Cheers. Yeah I thought it would. I've already replaced the four main globes. I think there might be more inside the actual cluster itself. Might have to completely open it up.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The speedo light is on all the time the ignition is on (cops and robbers stuff!) and this means they burn out every now and then. To replace you need to remove the instrument panel (see how - to's). Remember to disconnect your battery before you remove the dash because you can easily short something out. They are just your standard bulb. Good Luck.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
mess666 said:
Cheers. Yeah I thought it would. I've already replaced the four main globes. I think there might be more inside the actual cluster itself. Might have to completely open it up.
From memory it just sits on its lonesome on the top of the speedo - you don't have to pull it apart. Should also be a police calibration tag there.

mess666

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0L BT1
Cheers. I'll let you all know how I go.

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
The light for the needle is actually there but for the BT1 Holden replace the needle with a non-transperant needle.

on mine i just removed the needle and got an old VN Needle and put that on an bam the needle is lite up.

Also I took the bulb out of the top as when your needle is lite up the light upto doesn't make it look too flash.