Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR BT1 speedo screwed

HoLDenGuY

Reaction score
Members Ride
1994 VR Commordore
I purchased a 1994 VR bt1 4 years back, i noticed the speedo is borked, its 2k increments, when the speedo says 60Kh/h its actually going at 69Km/h, when i drive at 70Km/h its 79Km/h and 83Km/h on the speedo is 100Km/h. I've measured the speedo on my GPS navigation system. I've copt 3 speeding fines cos of it withing the first year i purchased the car, now i have to drive ~10Km/h under what the speedo says, no speeding fines in over 3 years.

My question is, is it suppost to be like this?

MONVTARO

Reaction score
no thats not right actually cars are made so they show a few k's faster then ya real speed so no its not meant to be like that. Now a few things can cause such a problem it could be the diff ratio has been changed or larger tyres. Thats all i can think or just a dodgy speedo

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Monvtaro is correct....as long as you are aware of the fault and drive accordingly you have no problems. To fix it will take time and money as you try to find out why it is misreading. Legally your vehicle must have a speedo accurate to +/- 10%. If it was me I'd live with it and keep my $$$.

D

dean18

Check your diff ratio and tyres before you touch or do anything to speedo...the vr you got is ex police car going by your cluster.. good luck Dean