Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR BT1 Tonner blocking neighbours drive!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Having a new battery does not ensure you have spark.

You need to do some basic checks. Does it have spark, does it have fuel. Check fuses and relays etc.

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
They didn't make a BT1 ute, sedan been cut and rear discarded. The BT1 cab then had new VS series 3 Statesman bonnet, guards, bumper and interior seats, door trims, console, steering wheel. The firewall is obviously original because tags still '94 BT1 and has the VR BT1 dash but Statesman glovebox n trim. They did a custom rear chassis to accommodate tray and 3 1/2 tonne tow capacity. Fixed axle, LSD with 4 link replaced the IRS. Check out "New One Tonner Company" FB page, cheers.

were they intended to be bases for dog boxes?

side question - what is the correct name for those vehicles?

Eh VZ Arch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6. VR BT1 Tonner
So maybe the title should read "VR BT1 Tonner (conversion) " ?

No Commodore has ever had a 3.5 ton towing capacity so I don't see how this could be rated for it?
With the chassis they built, 3 1/2 tonne tow capacity. Heaps of info on "The New One Tonner Company" FB page, cheers.

Eh VZ Arch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6. VR BT1 Tonner
were they intended to be bases for dog boxes?

side question - what is the correct name for those vehicles?
See reply to NOS question NORTI. I'm guessing rear parts n panels were sold off? Some of the conversions were 4 door. Only boot section removed, didn't look as good as the 2 door, just my opinion.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
With the chassis they built, 3 1/2 tonne tow capacity. Heaps of info on "The New One Tonner Company" FB page, cheers.

Sorry, simply don't believe it. Just because someone fabricated a chassis does not give a 3.5 ton tow rating. There is a bit more to it and without doing some serious testing I highly doubt it, it's not just about the chassis, it's about been able to control, move and stop the mass. Along with chassis upgrades you would need engine/trans, brakes and wheel/tyre upgrades.

Holdens (of that era) have a max tow rating of 2100kg with a braked trailer. I'd highly recommend not exceeding that.

figjam

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
FJ

I downloaded a story about building one of these 'New One Tonners' many moons ago. I would not be surprised if they were capable of towing 3.5tonne, but braking and stopping with that load could be interesting.
Back then, the rules and regs regarding towing and load specifications were not as stringent as they are now.

I can't find the source of the article now, but photos of the chassis look more substantial than the Crewman or Falcon ute, be interesting to compare with a Holden production single cab tonner..........
"Inside the trimmed cabin, with the front seats flipped forward, evidence of the new chassis can be faintly seen as square-section carpeted bolsters in the rear floor. Each 'prong' of the new chassis is spliced through the sheetmetal of the original floor pan and extends to the front floor of the cabin where it is incorporated in the Holden front chassis rails. Bracing this far forward spreads the loads over a larger area, resulting in a very stiff vehicle. Also visible is the storage cubbyhole, and the rear speakers and lights."

Eh VZ Arch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6. VR BT1 Tonner
I downloaded a story about building one of these 'New One Tonners' many moons ago. I would not be surprised if they were capable of towing 3.5tonne, but braking and stopping with that load could be interesting.
Back then, the rules and regs regarding towing and load specifications were not as stringent as they are now.

I can't find the source of the article now, but photos of the chassis look more substantial than the Crewman or Falcon ute, be interesting to compare with a Holden production single cab tonner..........
"Inside the trimmed cabin, with the front seats flipped forward, evidence of the new chassis can be faintly seen as square-section carpeted bolsters in the rear floor. Each 'prong' of the new chassis is spliced through the sheetmetal of the original floor pan and extends to the front floor of the cabin where it is incorporated in the Holden front chassis rails. Bracing this far forward spreads the loads over a larger area, resulting in a very stiff vehicle. Also visible is the storage cubbyhole, and the rear speakers and lights."
Sorry, simply don't believe it. Just because someone fabricated a chassis does not give a 3.5 ton tow rating. There is a bit more to it and without doing some serious testing I highly doubt it, it's not just about the chassis, it's about been able to control, move and stop the mass. Along with chassis upgrades you would need engine/trans, brakes and wheel/tyre upgrades.

Holdens (of that era) have a max tow rating of 2100kg with a braked trailer. I'd highly recommend not exceeding that.
Not a lot of info still exists as build sheets were disposed of. As I have mentioned, best source for info is their FB page, check it out perhaps? Pic of a sedan and one still being used daily, registered and no probs towing some pretty heavy duty loads! ;)

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_132527.jpg
    IMG_20210608_132527.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG_20210608_132440.jpg
    IMG_20210608_132440.jpg
    157.1 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_20210608_132507.jpg
    IMG_20210608_132507.jpg
    302 KB · Views: 97

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
I did look. Interesting to see your posts about the harsh ride. Not much actual usable info to be found though.

Just because someone has towed a heavy load does not mean it was legal or safe.

Interesting you say there are no build sheets, so no proof of modified vehicle/towing capacity.

Eh VZ Arch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6. VR BT1 Tonner
I did look. Interesting to see your posts about the harsh ride. Not much actual usable info to be found though.

Just because someone has towed a heavy load does not mean it was legal or safe.

Interesting you say there are no build sheets, so no proof of modified vehicle/towing capacity.
Surprised you find everything so interesting yet offer no wisdom on harsh ride or towing capacity, info is out there, pics may be a good start.

Attachments

• IMG_20210608_194455.jpg
    IMG_20210608_194455.jpg
    261.9 KB · Views: 83
  • Screenshot_2021-06-08-17-15-20-48.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-08-17-15-20-48.jpg
    164.6 KB · Views: 81
  • Screenshot_2021-06-08-17-15-31-85.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-06-08-17-15-31-85.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 102

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it leaf rear end? I can't tell from the photos.