Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR BT1 Tonner blocking neighbours drive!

Eh VZ Arch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6. VR BT1 Tonner
Yeah but at least the Val had a 727. Factory VS trans are not built to tow, even with a cooler.
Actually has its original VR BT1 trans. Personally think as GM in future models and a lot of car resto shops that the 4L60E is pretty much bullet proof, a great transmission!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
LOL. bullet proof.... maybe after you throw about $3K+ at it.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Actually has its original VR BT1 trans. Personally think as GM in future models and a lot of car resto shops that the 4L60E is pretty much bullet proof, a great transmission!

4l60 are ok, but hardly bullet proof. They are not designed to have any decent HP in front of them, not in stock form. My Jeep had a good trans and the 4L60 was nothing compared to the AW4. 4L60 has problems used as a tow as they get hot pretty quickly, so much so they had to put an external cooler on VS to reduce some of the problems with the VR trans.
One of the problems the 4L60 had was a small converter compared to other makes.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
TBH, all transmissions should have decent cooling. Heat is the single biggest enemy of the automatic transmission. The OEM (internal radiator) transmission cooler in the 2nd gen Commodores is average at best. The 3rd gen Commodores had twin coolers in the radiator for some models and still used an external cooler as part of the tow pack. From VT onwards the transmission cooler lines were also increased in size to improve flow via the cooler circuit.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
TBH, all transmissions should have decent cooling. Heat is the single biggest enemy of the automatic transmission. The OEM (internal radiator) transmission cooler in the 2nd gen Commodores is average at best. The 3rd gen Commodores had twin coolers in the radiator for some models and still used an external cooler as part of the tow pack. From VT onwards the transmission cooler lines were also increased in size to improve flow via the cooler circuit.

I had an external cooler on mine but it still got fairly hot when towing and my load was only around 1000kg. I used to run full syn oil and it helped but in the 4L60 but after 30k the oil still needed changing My Jeep towed the caravan 1000s of km up steep inclines and it never showed major sign of heat. It had a stock external cooler, which was relatively small, compared to a Davies Craig. Ful syn trans oil in that lasted longer than in the ute.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
The small pipe diameter used on the cooler circuit might have something to do with it. I'll be upgrading mine to -6 ;)

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I was told by a bloke who builds converters that one problem VRs have is the smallish converter, that generates more heat than other vehicles with larger ones.
I had an even smaller stally that I sold when the trans tech said it would generate too much heat. I was thinking of using it to help get some weight off the crank but change of plans, when I heard about the adverse effects.

Immortality

Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
It could be a contributing factor but then it's also a lock up converter so once cruising with the converter locked it shouldn't be generating any heat.

I also don't like how Holden tuned the transmissions, on the ecotec they get it into 4th real early working on the assumption that lower engine rpm improves economy but that also makes the converter work. I retune and have them stay in 3rd but lock the converter instead. Works especially well if you have fitted some diff gears.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sounds like there is a few things going against the VR and VS autos.
Definitely too tall diff from factory, and trans problems that they took a few models to make simple changes that could have been fixed years earlier. And let's face it the factory tune and diff gears did little to help economy regardless..... 3.45s on mine kept economy much the same. Sounds like the techies designing the VR were at least a tad retarded.

Eh VZ Arch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6. VR BT1 Tonner
Did say in my opinion? A lot of talk about trans coolers to keep them from overheating, don't work them hard with heavy loads in hot weather and over hilly terrain best advice. A cooling mod not mentioned, which is easy n inexpensive, is a deeper aftermarket finned pan. The extra fluid and depth of pan helping with air cooling.