Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR BT1 Tonner blocking neighbours drive!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Even just sitting stuck in traffic makes the transmission temps climb.

If you're going to tow 3.5 ton I can gaurantee the trans is going to get hot no matter what time of day you tow.

Yes a deep pan/alloy pan will help but you still need a way to help shed extra heat and the best way to do that is with an external transmission cooler.

If you're ride is lowered you need to be careful will deep pans too, especially the earlier models where the engine/trans hang a bit lower in the chassis.

the_boozer

no more VK
Reaction score
Members Ride
hilux
The extra fluid and depth of pan helping with air cooling
How it just means it'll take longer to over heat is what Ive seen happen when just the big pan is added.

Deuce

Super Stock
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR SS V8
I also don't like how Holden tuned the transmissions, on the ecotec they get it into 4th real early working on the assumption that lower engine rpm improves economy but that also makes the converter work. I retune and have them stay in 3rd but lock the converter instead. Works especially well if you have fitted some diff gears.
Hmmm, maybe we have a chat about my shift maps. Although I do make really good torque at low rpm.

apollo13

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE LPG
4l60 are ok, but hardly bullet proof. They are not designed to have any decent HP in front of them, not in stock form. My Jeep had a good trans and the 4L60 was nothing compared to the AW4. 4L60 has problems used as a tow as they get hot pretty quickly, so much so they had to put an external cooler on VS to reduce some of the problems with the VR trans.
One of the problems the 4L60 had was a small converter compared to other makes.
4L60E can handle the torque of a stock LS1. If you only have a V6, and aren't towing, they would last forever.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
4L60E can handle the torque of a stock LS1. If you only have a V6, and aren't towing, they would last forever.

You would think so but that is not the case. Especially not if you follow the Holden recommended service intervals.

You also have to remember that the 4l60e was continuously modified by GM so the 4l60e that was first fitted behind the V6 is a bit different to the one behind the first LS. LS engines also use torque management in the tune.

One of the big thing was the size of the cooler lines increased from VT onwards. Clearly Holden realised that cooling was an issue on the earlier models.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Good 4L60e are built not bought. Even on a mild V6 they need mods to make them last. Small valve bodies are a common issue that needs to be upgraded even on a stock V6.

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
Had a 4L60E behind an LS1 in a skid car, would shift fine on the road but would not shift out of second on the pad. No amount of playing with line pressure on the dyno would make it shift under load. Put it down to a buggered 1-2 clutch pack. It skidded quite a few times but was on the limiter all the time. I wasn't the driver though. Never found out what the issue was as I parted company with it.