Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Buick v6 loses all power certain throttle levels

SUS231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 S Ute 3.8L v6
Hi all, got a really annoying and potentially dangerous problem with my vr.

Posted this originally on Facebook but being a long time forum browser thought I might post here for added opinions and for anyone experiencing the same.

So, my Ute is fine most the time, full throttle it up and goes, but sometimes out of the random, I’ll put my foot into it say 75% and it’ll feel like there’s a dead spot. Back it off to 70% throttle and it’ll pick up speed fast again. This is usually the start of the problem.

Once I sense this happening it’s only a matter of time before I can’t give it any more than 20% throttle it’ll just chug real bad and almost stall no matter the speed or gear.

There is a quick fix I’ve found and could be the problem but I think it’s not, when this problem occurs I’ll pull over, turn it off, pop the bonnet and wiggle the dfi plug. While the plug is right the plastic seems to move a bit so I thought that was probably it, rough roads made the connection go bad and not getting sufficient spark or something.

Turn it back on and a way she goes again, only a matter of time before it happens again though. Could be 5 minutes to a month before it happens.

I was coming up a steep hill out of orange coming home and it done it there and then, so I had to pull over halfway up the hill to fix it which I think is ridiculous.

Now, I think I’ve come to the conclusion it’s not the dfi. While I have not changed it yet, I think it’s the tps?

The reason I think so, if this is even a possibility, the problems seem to only occur after I give it a lot of throttle. I usually drive normal, steady acceleration and I seem to never get the problem. Only after I’ve given it the foot.

Could there be a chance my tps, after a certain amount of throttle, loses its calibration or the readings are off something like that. And only after I turn the car off and back on it resets and is fine for a while?

But here’s the thing, if I just turn the car off and back on again without moving the dfi plug, it will still have the problem there and sometimes it won’t so it’s got me stuffed. It could be one or the other, both or even something unrelated to those.

What do you’s think? I’m going to replace both tps and dfi shortly and hope it’s fixed.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Is it having issue with shifting up? TPS will normally prevent it from shifting properly when it fails.

SUS231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 S Ute 3.8L v6
Is it having issue with shifting up? TPS will normally prevent it from shifting properly when it fails.
I have noticed that while it gets at the dead spot that’s sometimes there it won’t shift up no, I have to back off for it to shift or it’ll just keep slowly revving up higher then it usually would

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Yeah sounds like TPS. I have had two failed TPS and very similar sounding symptoms.

SUS231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 S Ute 3.8L v6
Yeah sounds like TPS. I have had two failed TPS and very similar sounding symptoms.
Cheers,
hope it’s something simple like that. I can’t line up at the lights for a race for me to be down on power lol, I had two spare tps, gave them to a mate before I thought it might be the issue and now he’s passed them on again so gotta find a couple on the weekend I can test. Will post what happens after that.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
Sometimes if you have a failed TPS you can manual shift. You just won't have 4th. But if you're stuck it can be enough to get you home.

SUS231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 S Ute 3.8L v6
Sometimes if you have a failed TPS you can manual shift. You just won't have 4th. But if you're stuck it can be enough to get you home.
Yeah pretty sure it downshifts okay, I would have been in 3rd waiting for 4th when I noticed it not shifting anyway so let’s hope that’s what it is cause it’s starting to get irritating lol

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I'm pretty confident the TPS is your issue. The more symptoms you mention, makes it even more plausible.

SUS231

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2 S Ute 3.8L v6
I'm pretty confident the TPS is your issue. The more symptoms you mention, makes it even more plausible.
Yeah sounds like that’s the culprit, don’t think any of the sensors apart from o2’s have been replaced before so might go over them all with some fresh ones anyway

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No need to replace lots of sensors. The new TPS' seem to have short life spans. The DFI will leave you stranded if it goes, so is a good idea to replace it and chuck the old one under the seat as a spare. Only sensors i have replaced on mine are TPS, twice, 02 twice and CAS twice and DFI just for insurance.