Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

304 vr calais 5.0l conversion no spark?

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
hi guys,

ive just bought a vr calais of a mate which was a auto buick, but hes chucked in a vr 185i plus trans that was out of his mums write off vr gts, only problem is that its not starting cause theres no spark, i just replaced the fuel pump yesterday as it was shot but that was only half the problem, it used to run in the calais really rough but now nothing, so my thoughts are the common dizzy, ignition module or coil but the coil looks new and it gets warm while cranking (not sure if good or bad).... orrrr i was thinking it could be the factory immobiliser? im not sure!. but there is no spark at the plugs

so are there ways to rule each one out insted of buying new items atm cause i just wanna get it running give it a full service before i pull the running gear out as itll sit around for up to a year before i transplant it into my vh sle, thanks in advance guys.

Ben

Jayme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L inj
the factory immobiliser only cuts fuel, the spark will still work even if your ecu is unplugged. first, make sure you get 12V at the coil. even put a test light across it and see if it flashes. since the ecu is not involved at the craking stage, it can only be: ign moduile, hall effect or coil

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
Ok sweet cheers mate, well I asked my mate again and he said the ign module works and it has a new hall/ crank angle sensor he reasons the computers shat itself so I'll try source a mates to try out otherwise the coils getting warm just while cranking for 10seconds or so... Is that normAl?

Jayme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L inj
no idea lol, cant say ive felt it but I dont think it should. as I said, it wont be the computer... it will spark while cranking if you dont even have one plugged in. dont take his word for it... put the test light across the pos and neg of the coil and see if it flashes. if its on constant, then chances are, its the ign module causign a dead short which is why the coil gets hot.... also make sure you disconnect any aftermarket tacho etc from the negative side of the coil, if its stuffed, that could make the coil short. im puttin my money on the ign module.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
Ignition module or coil is the most likely suspect, you can test the ignition module is switching the coil earth on and off with a test light at the coil end quite easily. Testing the coil is not so simple, new looking don't mean a lot. If the module switches your test light (while cranking obviously) then try swapping out the coil.

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
cheers guys havent checked the ign module, theres no spark at the coil.... but the engine fuse in the bay keeps blowing? dont know what the hells going on with it all, so im digging through the net to try find the calais wiring loom to see what runs of the engine 20A fuse in the bay, to see if any components off it are playing up but not having much luck at the moment

Jayme

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL 5L inj
start simple, do you have 12V at the pos side of the coil? that fuse is probably the one that powers the injectors, ign module and coil.

Warranty Void

Take it apart? Me? No!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Berlina LX V8
If that 20A fuse is blowing you must have a major short mate, unplug the engine connectors and see if it still blows then put the plugs back together one at a time you can track it down.

YMY-88U

Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VH SL/E
i couuldnt end up finding the short, as my mate did make a mess of the loom when he done the conversion, ive got the motor and box out and started stripping it down so i think ill re wire the whole loom so i can hide all the wiring in my vh, then once it goes in the vh ill figure it all out then, thanks anyway guys

aidanhq

Reaction score
Members Ride
olds kool and you know it.

Last edited: