Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR calais 5litre engine oil problems

jtwizzy

[SNWYZ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS calais
Hey guys have a question to ask about my 5litre calais...a few wks back now i started gettin my oil light flashing on and off...then it all of a sudden just stayed on constantly and got a slight ticking noise (almost sounding like an extractor leak )...so i went down to my nearest auto barn got some oil and a oil filter and did a basic oil change...started it back up and still the same oil light and a slight ticking noise...took my car for a drive and the ticking got worse and i started to loose power massivly...turned around and took her home and checked the dipstick and the oil level was perfectly fine and full...started it up yesterday and took her for a drive and the same ticking noise but really loud and NO power what so ever and constant stalling...checked under the oil cap and found no oil getting to the top off the block...what do u reckon it could be ?...had a few things thrown at me like oil gallerys or a blocked pickup are rooted etc...need help lol!

cheers in advance :yeah:

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
It's a blocked pickup probably, you should never drive a car with no oil pressure. You've likely done yourself some pretty good damage to the bearings by now but live and learn I guess. The engines going to have to come out and clean the pickup and check the crank and bearings. If you had of stoped driving it as soon as the light fliickered you would have got away with just cleaning the pickup. If anyone gets the same problem TURN IT OFF and do not drive it again untill it's fixed

jtwizzy

[SNWYZ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS calais
gives me a excuse to play with it now etc lol...not much of a mechancly minded person but how hard is it to clean the pickup etc ?

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
not real hard once you get to it. I cant beleive you kept driving the car. Oil light = STOP straight away and call tow truck.

jtwizzy

[SNWYZ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS calais
no insurance...no job...no cash + was about an hour away from home when it first started happening LOL...when it got really bad i was only 5mins from home

StockoVRWagz

Formerly White50L
Reaction score
Members Ride
'94 VR Wagon
Mine did the same and was the oil pick up as stated above. Once that was fixed good as new. When you fix the pickup problem, after that run some good engine oil flush through it and put good quality oil in. They tend to block up when shitty oil goes in and it hasn't been changed in ages.

andrewownsavp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS 5.0ltr
It's a blocked pickup probably, you should never drive a car with no oil pressure. You've likely done yourself some pretty good damage to the bearings by now but live and learn I guess. The engines going to have to come out and clean the pickup and check the crank and bearings. If you had of stoped driving it as soon as the light fliickered you would have got away with just cleaning the pickup. If anyone gets the same problem TURN IT OFF and do not drive it again untill it's fixed

lol thats funny actually my mate did 5ltrs conversion on his patrol and ran it for 15mins without oil pressure and when he stripped it down to rebuild it 355 the bearings were fine.....but i wouldnt recommend it

spirto

Reaction score
Members Ride
VQ Caprice II
ouch, this is going to be costly to repair... it defineately sounds like oil pickup, you can sometimes clean it up in the car, just have to raise the block off the chassis enough to get the sump off. It can also be the drive gear that runs the oil pump, even the oil pump has been known to fail in other peoples cars.

best of luck repairing it.

jtwizzy

[SNWYZ]
Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VS calais
cheers for all the help guys :D

she'll be going in to be rebuilt cause it will have a few goodies added :D...cam...perhaps blower ;)

Puranah

Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 vs executive
found out the hard way i had a blocked oil pickup thought it was a oil tappet until it got louder,
heres the kicker had it repaired also put a double row timing chain high performance bearings, had to change the oil pump gears where scored.
Did the rear main seal aswell had it back two days and it happens again lucky i noticed on a downhill rolled it home.
My question is there another component that should have been changed? also do oil breathers contribute to this problem?
any advice before punch the **** out of my mechanic?