Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Calais climate control suddenly failed

lukemcg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU2 SS
Gday,

New member to the forum but have been browsing it for some time to fix misc problems with my vr. Anyway car is a VR V6 calais series 1, and I had the air con (climate) fixed around a month ago. I replaced the condensor, drier, and the liquid line from the dryer to the tx, all with new seals. Had it gassed and my god, freezing. Life was good...

Until yesterday, temp hit around 35 i think and the air con just lost its bite, not warm air coming out, but certainly not the cold crisp air i had a few days prior when it got to around 40 outside and was freezing in the car. The air coming out is not enough is just not cold as you would expect.

I have been through pages of posts for the last couple of hours and cant come to any conclusion, no problem was quite as similar. I've checked the back of the climate unit (that little black vacuum hose is still attached) i've checked all the physical connections throughout the engine bay on the air con system, all tights, no sign of oil on the compressor, and the heater tap seems to work (pulls in and out with vacuum on changing from H to C).

Can someone shed any light on this? I must have air con!

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
97 VT BERLINA/ 98 VS SIII MALOO (RED) LX SLR5000
did thay/you do a leak test after you had all that work done?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
Probably lost the gas if it's blowing hot air. Are you getting warm air to your feet? (default mode when turned off)

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
he says its not as hot as it was? id say he has a leak as hes had it regassed.thats why im asking if the thay did a leak test at the end of the work ? otherwise the gas would of lasted a few days untill the gas leaked out from some place?
Probably lost the gas if it's blowing hot air. Are you getting warm air to your feet? (default mode when turned off)

lukemcg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU2 SS
They said there was no leaks after it was gassed, and it was pristine for nearly a month, then all of a sudden it lost it's chill. Before I did all the work the air was warm as there was no gas at all, but this time the air isn't warm, but it's not crispy cold as it should be. Its just strange as the day before it was fine then all of a sudden it started blowing say room temp air, not hot but not cold either.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
On really hot days,35-40 degrees,the A/C should be able to drop the temp in the car by 10 to 15 degrees from the outside ambient temperature.

lukemcg

Reaction score
Members Ride
VU2 SS
On really hot days,35-40 degrees,the A/C should be able to drop the temp in the car by 10 to 15 degrees from the outside ambient temperature.

The strange thing is the day it started playin up it was bout 32-35 degrees, but bout 1 week prior it was 40 and the air con was freezing. Tonight it was about 18 degrees out but the air con still only blew room temp air

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
may be time to take it for an aircon? check?
The strange thing is the day it started playin up it was bout 32-35 degrees, but bout 1 week prior it was 40 and the air con was freezing. Tonight it was about 18 degrees out but the air con still only blew room temp air

Last edited:

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gday,

New member to the forum but have been browsing it for some time to fix misc problems with my vr. Anyway car is a VR V6 calais series 1, and I had the air con (climate) fixed around a month ago. I replaced the condensor, drier, and the liquid line from the dryer to the tx, all with new seals. Had it gassed and my god, freezing. Life was good...

Until yesterday, temp hit around 35 i think and the air con just lost its bite, not warm air coming out, but certainly not the cold crisp air i had a few days prior when it got to around 40 outside and was freezing in the car. The air coming out is not enough is just not cold as you would expect.

I have been through pages of posts for the last couple of hours and cant come to any conclusion, no problem was quite as similar. I've checked the back of the climate unit (that little black vacuum hose is still attached) i've checked all the physical connections throughout the engine bay on the air con system, all tights, no sign of oil on the compressor, and the heater tap seems to work (pulls in and out with vacuum on changing from H to C).

Can someone shed any light on this? I must have air con!
Its very likly you have reinstalled the heater controls and not adjusted or even attached the heater tap vacuum control making the heater flow water all the time.
The valve that controls the tap is black and has a yellow and black vacuum hose feeding it and is on the drivers side very close to the pipes for the heater .The arm from the heater contol goes down and operates a white rocker arm that pushes on a little knob that shuts off the vacuum to the heater tap when it is in it's very coldest position.
This knob has to be pushed right home to not suppy vacuum....sometimes it doesn't have to be much adjustment to fix this.
The rocker arm pivots on a screw that is screwed into the body of the heater case and also operates the heater door control at the top.
To check if the vacuum control is at fault get someone to operate the heater control from coldest to hot probably best if the engine is running supplying vacuum.
Under the bonnet you should see the heater tap (located below and a bit forward of the brake master cylinder)move as the control is turned from coldest towards hot .

justbad4you

IF YOR NOT A HOLDEN
Reaction score
Members Ride
. if you stick your head under the dash (on the drivers side looking behind the center console behind where the aircon controls are) turn the hot-cold dial backward and forward and you should be able to see a steel rod moving backward and forward when you turn the dial. this rod is attached to a arm that moves with the rod.

turn the dial to full cold. when you do this the arm should move toward the rear of the car. when it reaches the full cold position the little arm should push against a valve that has 2 little vac lines going to it. this valve controls the vacuum to the heater valve under thebonnet.

to adjust you need to undo the clear plastic clip around the rod (where it attaches to the little plastic arm) and adjust it so that the arm pushes the valve in the full cold position.

Last edited: