Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr calais Head unit problems. Help.

coolvr

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR S2
I've gotta 1994 calais 5L and I've installed an alpine CDA-137EBT headunit.
Ive got everything connected corrected, however when reconnecting the battery there is a small electrical arch.
if i disconnect the orange/purple cable (positive cable from the battery) from the headunit (yellow cable) it doesn't arch at all.
Being a sparky i had a resistance tester handy and tested between the positive and the ground cables on the head unit and it reads about 1.4ohms which is a fair amount of resistance between + and -
the head unit works fine however that type of resistance running through the battery can't be a good thing? (i think it killed my battery which was only a few months old.. this car is only a weekender though and i don't use it that often)
Has anyone had this same issue? is there a surge diverter or something i can install to minimise this?
The head unit itself doesn't run any speakers directly, both front, rear speakers and sub are off a 5ch amp which works fine.

I've attached a photo of how i tested it.
any info is useful. cheers in advance tom

Attachments

• IMG_3528.jpg
    IMG_3528.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 140