Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Calais idle problems

BottleFedVS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 5.0L & 80 Series Landcruiser
Check the fuel pump pressure as it may not be able to keep a consistant feed to the injectors & they need approx 180psi consistantly to run properly.
I hope that helps.

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I just spent the better part of 2 months chasing a stalling/bad idle V6 and after replacing all the usual suspect items I spent $66 on a new IAC stepper motor. Now runs and idles like new. I would highly recommend replacing this item first before all else if the idle is the problem and the vacuum ball is holding pressure.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
The first flashes of the code are in 10s so if it flashed 4 times it would be 40, then it will flash again with 1 units so if it flashed 2 times after the 4 it would be code 42, this will happen twice more before moving on.... Didn't think a Code 40 ever existed.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Check the fuel pump pressure as it may not be able to keep a consistant feed to the injectors & they need approx 180psi consistantly to run properly.
I hope that helps.

Thanks mate. It runs reasonably well at 2000rpm with no load so I think that the fuel pressure is ok?

I just spent the better part of 2 months chasing a stalling/bad idle V6 and after replacing all the usual suspect items I spent $66 on a new IAC stepper motor. Now runs and idles like new. I would highly recommend replacing this item first before all else if the idle is the problem and the vacuum ball is holding pressure.

Cheers, got a second hand one today. Definitely idles better but still not good.

The first flashes of the code are in 10s so if it flashed 4 times it would be 40, then it will flash again with 1 units so if it flashed 2 times after the 4 it would be code 42, this will happen twice more before moving on.... Didn't think a Code 40 ever existed.

What it's doing is 4 rapid flashes. No gap between any of them. You'd think that would be 4 or 40 but neither exist. At least the 13 is gone now. Just 3 x 12 and then 3 x 4

Thanks for replies guys. As I said I replaced the IAC with a second handy which improved idle a bit. It will actually idle but it's as rough as guts and fluctuates with a 1500rpm spike every now and then. Anyhow I managed to take it for a drive up our driveway a couple of times. It misses and farts and carries on. Same sort of thing as if the engine was washed and got water in distributor.

I'm far from an expert but I'm thinking in no particular order, coil/ecu/dirty fuel.

Any thoughts on those or whatever else it may be?

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
The computer learns the idle setting again after you take it for a bit of a drive. After I installed the new IAC it would rev no probs but instantly stall when you let off the peddle. By the time I had driven down to the mechanic (yes I had given up on getting it running right) it was idling no worries and the only issue was it was dual fueling when I tried it on gas. So petrol it is for now :)

If it's running stupid and poping and so on you would think it would be along the lines of leads/plugs/DFI/coils. The cas and balancer can make it run poorly also - is the balancer in good nic? If it's moving around a little (on the way to it's death) it can chop the CAS up which in turn kills it and the engine from running.

Last edited:

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Agreed with 88GreenVN, next would be the coil packs and DFI module, having one of these coil packs can make the car run like a retard. It's unlikely to be the balancer and CAS as its rare thing for these to fail, but that's not to say that they don't fail because just like everything else in the car, they can fail. Take the DFI module and Coil Packs off (the DFI Module is located under the Coil Packs) and take it to a mechanic or auto electrician and get them to put a multimeter on them to see if they test out ok.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I'll show you my photos if you show me yours ;)

Here are some pics of the DFI Module and Coil Packs
coilpacksanddfi.jpg

The DFI plug will be held in with a 10mm Bolt
dfiplug.jpg

Then the bracket will be held in by 2 17mm bolts (I think they are 17mm been a while since I have changed them)
dfiscrews.jpg

Hope this helps a bit :)

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Thanks again guys.

I bought a Gregory's this afternoon. It's got the testing procedure for coils etc in it so when I finish work tonight I'll see if I can figure it out.
Really appreciate the effort you fella's are putting in. Cheers...

VrWagz1

The Wagon on Wheels..
Reaction score
Website
www.wagzhome.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VE SSV MY09 Auto Wagon
The only problem, with testing coils with multimeters is their voltage is way tooooo low to detect any breakdown of the coil unless its good an proper fugged. Not saying its useless but an insulaton tester is much more appropriate but its not an everyday item for most people.
But follow the procedure, but if you find nothing all im saying is still dont totally discount that a coil could still be busted.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Cheers for that VrWagz1, didn't know that :) Guess you learn something new everyday.