Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Calais idle problems

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Thanks Wagz, that being the case I'll just go down to the wrecker and start with the coil pack. My daughter has borrowed a car for a couple of days so the pressure is off a little.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Still no go :(

Today I changed over the coil pack and ecu and also replaced the fuel filter. I also double checked the vacuum lines.

I'm at a loss. It's now actually worse than it was yesterday. Idling very rough (or cutting out), huge flat spot when attempting to accelerate. FWIW you can smell it running rich as, and the inside of the exhaust pipe is black soot.

Looks like a mobile mechanic to add a few dollars onto that which I've spent.

Any final ideas/strategies before I shut the shed up?

Cheers...

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Fly me up and I'll work it out lol :p So hard to tell over the internet..... Only thing left I would say is your injectors need either replacing or a real good flush out. Put the old Coil packs back on and see if that helps with the idling, you may of been given a crap set of coil packs being second hand.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
If it seems to be running heaps rich then Id check that the fuel pressure regulator isnt leaking fuel into the inlet manifold,they can do this when the diaphram inside the regulator splits,and fuel leaks past it straight into the engine making it run crook..also low fuel pressure caused from the dodgey fuel pressure regulator wont allow the injectors to run properly as they need the fuel to be at a certain pressure to work properly,so Id be giving it the once over too,make sure its working fine.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Thanks guys. I'll spend an hour on it in the morning. It seems simple enough to check the FPR for faulty operation.

If you hear of a car ablaze in Brisbane and a madman on a high rise with a sniper rifle, you'll know who it is...

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Yeah,just make sure that theres been no fuel in the fuel pressure regulators vacuum line...

wortus

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Series 2 25th Anniversary in Phantom Mica
Have you checked the operation of the fuel tank vapour purge system? It is meant to allow fuel vapour to get sucked into the engine when it is at speed and warmed up, there is a solenoid valve. If it is stuck open it can cause a bad idle.
Also have you taken off the spark plug leads and checked their resistance is in spec and checked the spark plugs for any cracks etc?

If the above and the fuel pressure regulator is OK you might want to check the actual fuel pressure from the pump. Also if ther eis sufficient fuel pressure and it has a flat spot then there might be something wrong with your throttle position sensor it is basically a variable resistor that the ECU uses to work out throttle position and rate of change.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
FPR seems ok thanks Brett.

Thanks for input wortus but I have given up. It's very rarely in my life that things beat me but this has taken too much time and money for no result. Organised a mobile mechanic to come out in the morning :(

I'll report back with finding; it might be of benefit to someone else with similar problems.

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
I'm still going with Bad Injectors or no Injector pulse.

Poor old Dad

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Calais V
Mechanic reckons it the fuel pump so BottleFedVS was on the money. All he did was to stick his finger over the fuel line and bridge out the fuel pump relay. He said that the fuel pressure should blow his finger off the end of the pipe. It didn't and it was more of a trickle than a flow under pressure.
Oh well, down to Bursons and another $87.

I'll confirm that the new FP fixes it but many thanks for all the assistance guys.... appreciate it.