Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Calais Power Steering and Overheating

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Sold for scrap :(
Hi guys I just bought a 1994 VR Calais on 113 000km on the clock, beautiful in and out, but when it comes to the technical side its stuffed I think, for starters there is the powersteering, with the Calais it got the variable assist steering and I have heard nothing but bad stuff about this, and I have had quotes up to $800 to get it fixed as the Pump,rack and pipes have to be flushed of all the crap thats blocking it, wot I wanna know is, when I get this fixed is it going to happen again with the new gear, should I just get a Exec set up or a SS pump and rack ?
ok now for the real brain teaser, my car eats water, no drips under car, no steam in the exhaust, it slowly dissappears, and starts to overheat, I have combatted this by checking the water b4 each drive, and b4 I take it to a workshop to get it checked I thought I like to have a idea of what to say to the bloke, so here is the facts, no drips under car, but after a long drive water sits on top left hand side of the block next to the rocker cover and seems to be working its way up from the block, when driving on muggy days steam comes in through the main 2 air vents in the dash, and it smells like coolent, a mate said it could be where the water comes out of the block and into the exhaust to cool down the pipes but I don't know much, so if someone can tell me round abouts price to get it fixed or any other idea's of wot it could be, it would be a big help, thanks for taking the time to read all of this

VL Executive

VY SS Ute - Just got 1!
Reaction score
Members Ride
3 VL's, VK EFi, VX S, VY SS Ute, VF SSVR Ute
The coolant could be leaking from the thermostat housing, The gasket between the housing and the inlet manifold is probably causing the problem.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
For the water when you say no leaks.... what bout a split pipe some where might be really tiny leak, i know an easy thing but should look at...... squeze pipes see if they make and sucking noise, also if they are hard they might need replacing

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
The water leak if its on the left hand side could be a inlet manifold gasket leak at a water passage which I have seen on a few cars (including my vr)70 for parts about 200 for someone else to fix ...nothing if you do it yourself.
I'd say the bloke before you has put in the you beaut stop-leak that could be responsible for the blocking your steering mech.It looks a bit gluggy and has a black look to it.
If you replace the rack and drain out all the oil and run new oil through everything it should all work ok
The stop leak is a band aid approach but it probably stops the leak long enough to sell the car.
With the steam if its only on wet days and the air is on to demist it is probably the air conditioning and its normal but if it happens all the time and it smells like coolant it is the heater core leaking which is quite common.You could replace it but I would try running some coolant pellets first .

Last edited:

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Hmmmm ok

The water leak is on the left hand side, and I'm sure its the inlet manifold gasket leaking at a water passage not a split pipe checked that and its not the thermostat housing cause I replaced the thermostat, and the gasket when I first got the car, so thanks for that.
As for the steering that’s the first I have heard it could be that, I like that better but causes its cheaper, but I'm sure its this part inside the unit that breaks down into tiny bits and blocks the high pressure pipes, its suppose to be a really common problem on the V6 Calais's, its like the rev's down go up to power the pump, cause if I rev the car over, say maybe 2500rpm it works fine or if I'm driving drop it into first just as I start to turn or enter a roundabout its good.

With the steam I think you’re right it’s the heater core leaking as it happens all the time and it smells like coolant or like someone is ironing LOL.
What are these, I read in the handbook about the Coolant pellets, but wot are they and wot do they do ?

On something different all together, has anyone installed 6x9’s in the rear parasol tray, I have seen heaps of VN's - VS's with them, and they have raiser pads under the 6x9's. Can you put them in without the pads, as I hate that bulky look, I still have the standard Calais speakers in the back I replaced the front door pod ones but am apprehensive doing the back as I don’t want to stuff the car up.

The1985divo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Calais V
have a look through the othe threads as this has been covered a dew times and has quite a bit of good info in them :)

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
The leak has been well doccoed, the steering, well the variable speed isn't as bad as you would have read, getting it changed to exec/SS isn't just a matter of changing the gear, its in the BCM as well.

The cost is the same for a new pump/lines etc as the standard system, and the variable speeds are fantastic if you do a lot of higher speed driving as it really stiffens up the wheel. My calais has done about 190,000 off the orignigal rack and although its on the way out, i can't complain about the service it's given.

S

scotty

Have the same problem with the coolant coming up from the block on my VS Ecotec V6. It only happens after long drives. It comes up from the little tiny bolts??? Anyway since its only such a small amount i have never worried about it.

soulyouth

Space Docker
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ok now I have better info

Ok everyone, I'm back and I'm armed with pics this time
Ok with the pic:
Power1.jpg - does that look normal? The colour?

Power. jpg - the moisture around the opening, is that common?

Waterleak.jpg - there is nothing there in the pic, but that’s where the water comes through after a long ass drive or if you heat her up and squeeze the pipes

Your thoughts please :)

Last edited:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
alrighty...
its hard to judge by the colour of the power steering fluid but to me it looks kinda dark which isnt good.. that indicates its pretty damn old!
dip your finger in it and see what it comes out like
it should be a nice bright cherry red colour. its the same fluid as dexron II (transmission fluid)
as for the moisture around the top, id say its your power steering cap
either u havent put the cap on tight enough, or your seal is rooted and its time for a new cap!
as for the water, ive got no idea
sorry chief ;)