Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR caprice/statesman radiator installation question

cartwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
Hey

I removed my old radiator in my Vr caprice yesterday, i drained the coolant from the bottom hose i took off the top hose and the small one next to the radiator cap, then pushed the side clips in and out she came nice and easy maybe to easy coz when i put the new one in i reversed what i did to take it out which took me about 2 mintues to do, the only things conneted were the top, bottom and one small hose next to the radiator cap there were no two tranny lines connected to the radiator like people say or sensors or anything is that normal ? also the new radiator came with a couple of clips and a couple of screw things but i didnt need them coz its sitting in there nice and snug at the moment, also on the new radiator there are couple of places where there should be hoses to connect to them but i dont have hoses to connect them too. do i just leave them to be?

All help is appreciated.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
radiators have different hose connections for different models, sum will have the connectors used up, urs doesnt.

Yours is a manual? that would be the reason for not having the two tranny lines connecting to the rad, or have a trans cooler that doesnt flwo back thru the rad

VR38

Reaction score
Members Ride
VB SL/E
Yeah check you have the correct series radiator to suit your model car.

mr j-man

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH SL/E 355
you can get either a auto trans radiator or manual trans! auto have 2 threaded connection and manuals dont. if u have a manual box - cap the 2 connections at the radiator to prevent any moisture getting in the core, this will stop internal rusting on the radiator! you may or may not have electrical connection on the old/new radiator depending on what type of thermostat setup u are running for your fan!
hope it works out

cartwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
also do i have to block the bits i dont need with something or just leave it, and can i leave the plastic shrouding off or do i need to put it on? cheers

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
If it a auto, you should have the lines from the trans that run to the radiator, unless u have a trans cooler and they have taken off the lines to the rad n gone straight to the cooler

cartwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
yep all good shrouds on and i do have a trans cooler didnt notice it until then lol

I put the new radiator in, new water pump and thermostat with new coolant and it still sits on 3/4, now my question is, is 3/4 mean its overheating or that just a normal thing with my car you rekon? The only thing i cant think of is the electric fan doesnt work on the front of the radiator which could be causing it.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
fan on the front is the air con fan dont worry about that.

Im guessing this is a 5ltr? if so your clutch fan may be on the way out.

Or it could be just normal where it sits has it always been like that or just started sitting that high?

I hope you got a decent size transcooler if the fluid isnt cool enough you ruin your gearbox quicker

Last edited:

cartwright

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr wagon
yea mate its a 5ltr. Ill get the fan checked out then.
ive only had it for couple of months when i first got it it ran cool so i dont rekon its normal, and the trans cooler is a fair size so that shouldnt be a problem